Alfred B. Robinson, Jr.
Mr. Robinson has practiced labor and employment law and advised business clients on employment compliance issues since 1981. His practice included representing clients before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, National Labor Relations Board, United States Labor Department, other administrative agencies and various federal and state courts. Before joining Ogletree Deakins, he served as the acting Administrator of the Wage and Hour Division (WHD) of the United States Department of Labor. WHD administers and enforces a variety of labor standards statutes that are national in scope and that enhance the welfare and protect the rights of the nation’s workers. These laws include the minimum wage, overtime, child labor and recordkeeping requirements of the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Davis-Bacon Act, the Service Contract Act, the Migrant and Seasonal Agricultural Worker Protection Act, field sanitation and housing standards in the Occupational Safety and Health Act, and a number of employment standards and worker protections provided in the immigration law. Prior to becoming acting Administrator, he served as Deputy Administrator for Policy and as Senior Policy Advisor of the Wage and Hour Division.
Before joining the U.S. Department of Labor, Mr. Robinson was a member of the South Carolina House of Representatives from 1992 until 2002. He also has served on the board of directors for the South Carolina Jobs-Economic Development Authority where he focused on job creation and economic development.
Education and Honors
J.D., University of South Carolina, 1981
B.S., Washington & Lee University, 1977
- American Bar Association (Section of Labor & Employment Law Federal Labor Standards Legislation; Section of Public Contract Law)
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Southeastern Business Law Institute - "The Union’s New Role in Business Decision Making, Courtesy of the NLRB" - Birmingham - October 27, 2011
In The News
- April 30, 2014 - - "Ramped-Up Enforcement Expected Under New DOL Wage Chief"
- November 2013 - - "GC Agenda: New FLSA Domestic Service Regulations"
- September 17, 2013 - - "'Living Wage' Bill Highlights New Worker Rights Battleground"
- June 19, 2012 - - "Drug Rep Ruling May Give Employers More Ammo In OT Suits"
- June 13, 2012 - - "Surprise DOL Visits On The Rise"
- June 2012 - - "Off-Hours Mobile Device Use Can Rack Up Overtime"
- March 8, 2012 - - "Fewer Unpaid Internships To Be Offered"
- February 1, 2011 - - "ABA, DOL Partnership Helps Employees Pursue Wage and Hour Claims"
- January 1, 2011 - - "DOL Collected $173 Million in Back Pay in FY 2009 Following Recent Release of Agency-Wide Strategic Plan, DOL Restates Commitment to Worker Rights"
- December 1, 2010 - - "DOL Plan Forecasts Continued Focus on Misclassification, Vulnerable Workers"
- November 30, 2010 - - "3 Wage-and-Hour Targets for Collective Action"
- November 19, 2010 - - "Paycheck Fairness Down, but Not Totally Out"
- May 28, 2010 - - "Steering Clear of Legal Pitfalls in Hiring Unpaid Interns"
- February 14, 2008 - - "SHRM Raises Concerns on Mandated Leave for First Responders"
- June 18, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Your Guide to the Proposed Rules Under Executive Order 13658 Setting a Minimum Wage for Federal Contractors"
- June 3, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Some Surprises in DOL’s Just Issued Spring 2014 Regulatory Agenda"
- April 29, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Federal Minimum Wage Bill In The Forefront of This Year’s Election Agenda"
- February 14, 2014 - SHRM.org - "President Orders Minimum Wage Increase for Contractors"
- February 13, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "President Signs Executive Order on Minimum Wage Increase"
- January 17, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "More Minimum Wage Increases as the Income Equality Debate Heats Up"
- July 8, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "It’s Confirmed Again—Davis-Bacon Has No Private Right of Action"
- June 21, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "U.S. DOL Suffers Set Back on Tip-Pooling Regulations"
- February 25, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "What’s on the Regulatory Horizon Part Two: Wage and Hour Division Tips Its Hand"
- February 22, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "What’s on the Regulatory Horizon Part One: The DOL’s Strategies on Wage and Hour"
- December 1, 2012 - ACC Legal Resources - "A Top Ten Look at Unpaid Student Interns: Can You Be Penalized if You Do Not Pay Them?"
- November 7, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "How to Report Audit Results and Resolve Issues Identified in the Audit"
- October 8, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Key Issues to Evaluate When Conducting an Internal Wage and Hour Audit"
- August 13, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Conducting an Effective Internal Wage and Hour Audit"
- July 30, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "FLSA Lawsuits Continue to Rise"