Ann Carr Mackey
Ann Carr Mackey assists clients with employee benefits, including drafting, amending, qualifying, administering, and terminating employee pension benefit plans and employee welfare benefit plans and related trusts. She also assists clients by drafting and administering non-qualified deferred compensation plans and rabbi trusts. She has advised employers about their obligations under the Health Care Reform Act, and represented clients in audits conducted by the Department of Labor or the Internal Revenue Service. Her experience also includes curing operational or document defects in qualified plans, advising buyers and sellers of businesses on employee benefit issues arising before and after mergers and acquisitions. She has advised companies regarding the setup and operation of company-owned and operated medical clinics for the benefit of employees, and advises companies in financial distress concerning the administration and/or termination of employee benefit plans.
Ms. Mackey has provided benefits consulting advice to large national medical device makers, county hospitals, specialty hospitals, manufacturing companies and service providers. She has served as fund counsel to trade association and union multi-employer plans, has negotiated and drafted employment and severance agreements for executives, and has drafted non-qualified deferred compensation plans and agreements.
Education and Honors
J.D., Washington University in St. Louis 1974
B.A., with honors, Principia College 1969
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Member of the Board of Editors of Law Quarterly
- Indiana Super Lawyer (2012-2013)
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Indiana Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- International Foundation of Employee Benefits
- American Society of Pension Plan Actuaries
- Ogletree Deakins 2013 Employment Law Briefing - "The Affordable Care Act's Employer Mandate Goes Live in 2014" - Indianapolis - April 16, 2013
- MJ Insurance - "Health Care Reform" - Indianapolis - February 19, 2013
- The Central Indiana Chapter of the International Society of Certified Employee Benefit Specialists, Annual Meeting - "Current Benefit Issues" - Indianapolis - November 8, 2012
- HR Dimensions and Hylant Group Client Seminar - "Health Care Reform - The Supreme Court Has Spoken – Now What?" - Indianapolis - October 10, 2012
- Indiana Chamber of Commerce & Ogletree Deakins Annual Employee Benefits Seminar - "Fiduciary Tune Up" - Indianapolis - September 13, 2012
- Indiana Chamber of Commerce & Ogletree Deakins Annual Employee Benefits Seminar - "Disability Benefits: The Most Litigated ERISA Claim" - Indianapolis - September 13, 2012
- Indiana Chamber of Commerce & Ogletree Deakins Annual Employee Benefits Seminar - "Hot Topics: What to Watch for 2012 and Beyond" - Indianapolis - September 13, 2012
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "Winning the Fiduciary Game" - Phoenix - May 11, 2012
- Indiana Bankers Association Group Insurance Trust – Annual Employer Seminar - "Update on Health Care Reform" - Indianapolis - March 19, 2012
- Ogletree Deakins and Knowledge Congress Webinar - "Understanding New IRS Rules in Filing Revised Form 5300" - February 9, 2012
- Indiana State Bar Association - "Update On Healthcare Reform For Those Who Represent Employers" - Indianapolis - December 15, 2011
- Ogletree Deakins Seminar - "Coordinating Benefits in Leave of Absence Situations" - Indianapolis - October 5, 2011
- Indiana Benefits Conference - "Getting It Right: Ending Enrollment Errors" - Indianapolis - September 20, 2011
- Gibson Insurance and Anthem Healthcare Summit V - "Compliance Update" - South Bend - March 10, 2011
- Gregory & Appel Insurance and ADP - "Opening the Door to the Obama Era: What Will Change Look Like for Welfare Benefit Plans?" - Indianapolis - March 19, 2009
In The News
- May 9, 2012 - - "More Attorneys Choosing Gradual Retirement"
- October 17, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "IRS Penalty Relief for Severance Pay Expires on December 31"
- September 2010 - Hoosier Banker - "What Do Your Mean I Am A Fiduciary Of Our Employee Benefit Plans?"
- 2008 - Indianapolis Business Journal, The Counselor - "Is This the Year to Switch to a Consumer-Driven Health Arrangement?"
- 2007 - Indianapolis Business Journal, The Counselor - "What You Need to Know About Internal Revenue Code Section 409A: Five Common Misconceptions"
- 2007 - Smart Business - "Wellness Benefits, What Health Plans Can an Employer Reasonably Require and Legally Offer?"
- July/August 2005 - American Bankruptcy Institute Journal - "All in the Family, Brother-Sister Corporate Controlled Groups and Pension Liability"
- February 28, 2005 - March 6, 2005 - Indianapolis Business Journal - "Are Traditional Pension Plans an Endangered Species?"
- Fall 2003 - Indiana State Bar Association, The Workplace Lawyer - "COBRA Regulations Clarify Employer Obligations"
- 2003 - Indianapolis Business Journal, The Counselor - "Are There Any Cost-Effective Alternatives to Traditional Employer-Provided Health Insurance?"
- December 10, 2001 - December 16, 2001 - Indianapolis Business Journal - "Warning to Employees: Take Care of your 401(k)"
- July/August 2001 - American Bankruptcy Institute Journal - "Counsel for Debtors Beware! Officer and Directors May Be Personally Liable For The 401(k) Contributions To Employees And Their Health Insurance Claims"