Bruce A. Griggs
Bruce A. Griggs manages Ogletree Deakins’ Labor and Employment practice in Austin. Board Certified in Labor and Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization since 1996, Mr. Griggs’ practice focuses on all aspects of labor and employment law, including:
- Defending employers in complex employment litigation in state and federal courts across Texas. Mr. Griggs has defended employers in class actions, FLSA collective actions, ERISA actions, non-compete and other business-related litigation, and has conducted numerous jury and non-jury trials involving claims under federal and/or state discrimination statutes.
- Representing and counseling employers in union avoidance, collective bargaining and arbitrations, and defending employers in unfair labor practice proceedings before the NLRB. Mr. Griggs also routinely represents employers in non-labor arbitration proceedings, including the arbitration of occupational injury claims and discrimination claims of all types.
- Counseling clients regarding discipline and discharge issues, wage and hour, internal investigations, employee handbooks/manuals, employment agreements, as well as other issues arising in the human resources context. Mr. Griggs also conducts training for employers on these and similar issues.
Mr. Griggs frequently speaks at employment-related seminars and has authored numerous articles on employment-related topics. Mr. Griggs has been recognized by Texas Monthly magazine as a Texas “Super Lawyer” in labor and employment law for every year since 2003, and has been named in The Best Lawyers in America every year since 2010. Mr. Griggs was elected as a Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation in 2005.
Mr. Griggs graduated from the University of Virginia School of Law in 1989, and served as a judicial clerk to federal district judge Sydney A. Fitzwater in Dallas immediately following graduation from law school.
Education and Honors
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 1989
B.S., with honors, University of Arkansas
- Best Lawyers in America (2010-present)
- Texas Super Lawyer (since 2003)
- American Bar Association
- Elected Fellow of Texas Bar Foundation (2005)
- Texas Bar Association (Labor and Employment Law Section)
- Travis County Bar Association (Labor and Employment Law Section)
- Austin Human Resource Management Association (VP of Legislative Action, 2007)
- North Dallas Chamber of Commerce (Legal Counsel 1997-1998)
- Southwestern Legal Foundation Inn of Court (1992)
In The News
- June 2, 2014 - - "Ogletree Deakins Impacts Arbitration"
- October 13, 2011 - - "Internet Creates Marketing Tools for Lawyers"
- April 6, 2011 - - "Marsh Case May Alter Texas' Noncompete Landscape"