C. Thomas Davis
After graduating from law school in 1987, Tom Davis began his legal career at Ogletree Deakins and is currently the practice group leader of the firm’s Traditional Labor Practice Group. Mr. Davis represents employers in all aspects of employment law matters with a primary focus on the area of traditional labor law. He assists clients in maintaining union-free work environments through the implementation of cutting-edge, positive employee relations programs and creative leadership education. Mr. Davis is a recognized expert in the use of interactive training techniques which help management understand, in practical terms, how to effectively deal with union issues in the work place. He also helps employers respond to union organizing efforts and handles unfair labor practice litigation before the National Labor Relations Board. Mr. Davis also helps unionized employers develop and maintain constructive relationships with the union representing their employees. This involves collective bargaining and grievance management. While Mr. Davis has experience in many industrial settings, a great deal of his time is spent dealing with these issues for clients engaged in the health care industry, the automotive assembly and auto parts supply industry and in warehousing/distribution. In addition, Mr. Davis advises clients on compliance with various aspects of the federal laws, including the Fair Labor Standards Act and state restrictive covenant laws.
Education and Honors
J.D., University of South Carolina, 1987
B.A., summa cum laude, Wofford College, 1984
- American Bar Association (Labor Section; Committee on the Development of the Law Under the National Relations Act)
- Georgia Bar Association (Labor Section)
- Atlanta Bar Association (Labor Section)
- Nashville Bar Association
- Not Your Father's NLRB - "All A Twitter - The Evolving Limits on the Regulation of, and Response to, Employee Comments Made on Social Media" - New Orleans - October 28, 2011
- Not Your Father's NLRB - "State of the Unions" - New Orleans - October 27, 2011
In The News
- February 6, 2014 - - "Trio of Pro-Union Moves Threatens to Handcuff Employers"
- November 8, 2013 - - "Worker Centers Are Center of Attention"
- January 4, 2013 - - "NLRB's Confidentiality Shift May Hinder Workplace Probes"
- May 4, 2012 - - "Courts Weigh Union Notices In Workplace"
- July 2011 - - "Unions - and Companies - Battle for Survival"
- February 25, 2008 - - "The Politics of Labor"
- February 5, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "NLRB Reissues “Ambush Election” Rules On Steroids"
- February 1, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "OSHA Signals an Increased Focus on Hospital Industry"
- January 7, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "NLRB Overrules Longstanding Precedent Exempting Witness Statements from Disclosure in Grievance-Arbitration Context"
- April 26, 2010 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "Solicitation And Distribution: Who Can Do What, When And Where? "