Charles B. Baldwin
Mr. Baldwin has over 25 years of experience as an advocate for management in all aspects of labor and employment law matters. He devotes his practice to representing employers involving: EEO, ERISA, and wrongful discharge claims; labor arbitrations; NLRB proceedings; wage and hour disputes; union avoidance; employment contracts; non-competition/trade secret disputes; and, class and collective actions. Mr. Baldwin frequently consults with and trains employees on employment practices and policies, union avoidance and litigation avoidance.
As a trial lawyer, Mr. Baldwin served as lead counsel in defending employers at trial and on appeal in class/collective actions, multi-plaintiff and individual lawsuits arising out of every conceivable type of workplace dispute. AIAM and AAMA selected him as Counsel for Amici Curiae in a case of first impression under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
For many years, Mr. Baldwin served as the Seventh Circuit Editor for the “Employment & Labor Relations Litigation Newsletter” of the ABA. He was a contributing author for the first and second edition of “Model Jury Instructions: Employment Litigation,” published by the Litigation Section of the ABA.
The Indiana Chamber selected Mr. Baldwin to co-author: “Indiana Guide to Preventing Workplace Harassment;” “Interviewing Guide: Designed to Assist Indiana Employers with Hiring and Retaining Employees;” and, “Managing Employees Leaves of Absence.” Mr. Baldwin was a contributing editor to the Indiana Chambers’ newsletter H R Notes from 2005 to 2011.
Comments of others, particularly clients, best describe Mr. Baldwin’s legal skills and experiences. In its 2006 Client Guide, Chambers USA described Charles Baldwin as: “a successful litigator . . . experienced in acting as national counsel in employment litigation cases.” In its 2007 Client Guide, Chambers USA, praised Mr. Baldwin for his: “responsiveness and commitment.” In its 2008 Client Guide, Chambers USA stated: “his role as counselor to his clients also comes highly rated.” In its 2009 Client Guide, Chambers USA described Chuck Baldwin by stating, “clients admire his “calm approach, great knowledge and true dedication.” In its 2010 Client Guide, Chambers USA reported: “Charles Baldwin is renowned for his labor work, with clients commenting that “he has vast knowledge of the law and gives us great guidance;” “He is very intelligent and knowledgeable on the subject, and is always successful.”
Chuck Baldwin received an “Excellent” rating from the Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC). Clients described Mr. Baldwin as follows in the ACC Value Index: “practical, efficient and business-oriented. He understood what we were trying to accomplish and he helped us get there. Chuck does excellent work.”
The Indiana Chamber of Commerce chose Mr. Baldwin as Volunteer of the Year for 2001 and in 2000 was appointed to the Indiana Chamber’s Board of Directors. Chambers USA Leading Business Lawyers in the USA selected Mr. Baldwin as one of the top labor and employment lawyers in Indiana (2004 to present); Mr. Baldwin is also honored by the following organizations: Best Lawyers in America (2007 to present), Indiana Super Lawyers (2004 to present) and The International Who’s Who of Management Labour & Employment Lawyers (2010 to present). In 2009, Mr. Baldwin was inducted into the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, a non-profit professional association honoring the leading lawyers nationwide in the practice of labor and employment law.
Education and Honors
J.D., University of Dayton, 1983
B.S., Valparaiso University, 1980
- Fellow, College of Labor and Employment Lawyers (2009 – present)
- Indiana Super Lawyers (2004 – present)
- Awarded AV Preeminent Rating by peers in Martindale-Hubbell
- Leading Labor and Employment Lawyer in Indiana - Chambers USA, Leading Business Lawyers in the USA (2004 – present)
- Best Lawyers in America (2007 – present)
- International Who’s Who of Management Labour and Employment Lawyers (2010 - present)
- Volunteer of the Year (2001) – Indiana Chamber of Commerce
- Recipient, Client Choice Awards USA & Canada - Employment/Labor category (2013)
- BTI Client Services All Star (2013)
- Lexology Client Choice Award 2013 - Labor and Employment (2013)
- American Employment Law Council (Charter Member – 1993 to present)
- Eiteljorg Museum (Advisory Committee Member and Volunteer – 2006 to present)
- Indiana Chamber of Commerce (Board of Directors – 2000 to present)
- Indiana Chamber of Commerce (Employment Law Committee – 2004 – present)
- Indiana Chamber of Commerce (Health Care Policy Committee – 2007 – present)
- Indiana Chamber of Commerce (Nominating Committee - 2011)
- Sagamore American Inn of Court (Barrister – 2006 to 2009)
- United States Chamber of Commerce (2002 to present)
- University of Dayton School of Law Alumni (Board of Trustees – 2000 to present)
- U.S. Labor and Employment Laws, Indiana University Law School (LLM Program Lecturer, 2007)
- Friends of Herron School of Art and Design (Volunteer – 2000 to present)
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Indiana Chapter (Volunteer, Fundraiser, and Organizer of Light the Night Walk Fundraiser – 2006 - 2008)
- American Bar Association (Labor and Employment and Litigation Sections, 1983 to present)
- American Bar Association (Advisory Panel, Labor and Employment Law Section and Litigation Section, 2007 to present)
- Indiana Bar Association (Labor and Employment Law Section and Litigation Section, 1983 to present)
- Indiana Bar Association (Board Member, Labor and Employment Law Section, 1992-1999)
- Federal Bar Association (1983 to present)
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association (1998 to present)
- Indiana Legal Foundation Legal Advisory Committee (2013)
- Advisory Board of the HR Specialist: Employment Law Monthly Publication
- Indiana Chamber of Commerce - "Workplace Harassment Seminar" - October 30, 2012
- Indiana Chamber - "Strategies to Avoid Rising Employee Retaliation Claims" - Webinar - September 8, 2011
- Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum - "A User’s Guide to the EEOC: An Employer’s View" - Indianapolis - July 22, 2011
- Association of Corporate Counsel CCU - "Social Media: The New Rules of Engagement" - New Orleans - May 17, 2011
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "Responding to the EEOC – An Insider’s View" - Chicago - May 13, 2011
- ACC Indiana Chapter - "Start Your Labor and Employment Spring Cleaning! Hot Topics for 2011" - Indianapolis - March 31, 2011
- Association of Corporate Counsel Annual Meeting - "How to Prevent and Respond to an Agency Pursuit of Pattern and Practice or Systemic Discrimination Claims" - San Antonio - October 24, 2010 - October 27, 2010
- Private Client Training - "Managing Employees in a Non-Union Environment" - Chicago - October 15, 2010
- Ogletree Deakins Seminar - "Disability Discrimination – The New Risk for Employers" - Indianapolis - October 5, 2010
- Indiana Chamber of Commerce` - "Leave Issues Seminar" - Indianapolis - September 15, 2010
- Private Client Training - "Collective Bargaining Negotiations Training" - Chicago - August 12, 2010
- Second Annual Employment and Labor Law Conference Sponsored by Marcus Evans - "Adapting to the ADAAA and Comprehending its Impact on Disability Claims" - Washington, D.C. - June 6, 2010 - June 7, 2010
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "Social Networking Sites – Treasure Trove or Liability Trap?" - Las Vegas - May 7, 2010
- Indiana Manufacturers Association, Ogletree Deakins Health Care Reform Legislation, On-Line Webinar - "What Will Health Care Reform Mean for Your Business?" - April 29, 2010
- Corporate Counsel – Indiana Chapter - "Rebuilding Your Workforce Without Creating Liability" - Indianapolis - March 26, 2010
In The News
- February 15, 2013 - - "GCs Name 28 Employment Attys That Keep Them Happy"
- February 2, 2012 - - "Indiana eAuthority - Governor Signs Right-to-Work Measure Into Law"
- January 2, 2012 - - "Hospitals Cry Foul - NLRB Moves Ahead with Controversial Rules"
- September 8, 2011 - - "Bad Call: How Not to Dismiss an Employee"
- September 2011 - - "Is There a Good Way to Fire Someone? No, But Don't Ever Do It By Phone"
- September 29, 2010 - - "Discrimination Cases Rising"
- December 17, 2009 - - "The Fairness Factor"
- November 2, 2009 - - "Complaints Flood EEOC - Even Employers with No History of Claims Now Feel the Heat"
- May 1, 2009 - - "How to Avoid the Legal Perils of RIF Alternatives"
- July 16, 2006 - - "IPD Vote on Contract May Signal FOP Rift: Labor Experts See Decision to Put City's Offer to a Vote, Against Union Leaders' Advice, as Possible Sign of a Split"
- November/December 2013 - BizVoice - "Legal Changes Affecting Employers"
- September 2013 - Association of Corporate Counsel - "HR Investigations and the Preservation of the Attorney-Client Privilege in the Context of the Faragher Defense"
- November/December 2011 - BizVoice - "NLRB and DOL Turn Up the Heat: Will Your Company Be Ready?"
- April 8, 2011 - Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) QuickCounsel - "Systemic Discrimination in a Nutshell"
- November/December 2010 - BizVoice/Indiana Chamber of Commerce - "What To Expect From The EEOC In 2011"
- November/December 2009 - BizVoice/Indiana Chamber of Commerce - "Labor’s Wish List – Where We Are And Where We’re Headed"
- April 2009 - ACC Docket - "Minimizing Exposure When Cuts Become Necessary: A New RIF On An Old Tune"
- 2009 - Indiana Chamber of Commerce - "Managing Employees Leaves Of Absence: A Guide For Indiana Employers"
- 2009 - Indiana Chamber of Commerce - "The Interviewing Guide: 2nd Edition, Helping Indiana Employers Utilize Lawful And Effective Interviewing Techniques"
- November/December 2008 - BizVoice/Indiana Chamber of Commerce - "Reduction in Force – Downsizing Your Layoff Woes"
- November/December 2007 - BizVoice/Indiana Chamber of Commerce - "Caregiving Responsibilities – New Age, New Challenges For Employers"
- May 2007 - Walker Information - "What Can You Learn About Ethics from Boiling Frogs?"
- 2007/2010 - National Institute of Business Management, Inc. (Editor-in-Chief) - "HR Specialist: Indiana Employment Law Newsletter"
- November/December 2006 - BizVoice/Indiana Chamber of Commerce - "Harassment by Customers – Employers Must Pay Close Attention To Growing Concern"
- July 2006 - ReedLogic Venture Capital Leadership Conference - "Becoming Your Business Expert"