C. John Wentzell, Jr.
Mr. Wentzell practices in the areas of employee benefits law, ERISA and taxation. Mr. Wentzell represents clients in the areas of qualified and non-qualified retirement plans, health and welfare plans, ERISA, fringe benefits, and compliance with other federal laws relating to employee benefits matters.
Mr. Wentzell assists clients in designing and drafting plans, advises clients regarding the legal requirements for operating and administering plans, and prepares and submits filings to the Internal Revenue Service.
Mr. Wentzell graduated from the University of Georgia in 2000 with a degree in Finance. He received his J.D. in 2003 from the University of South Carolina School of Law. During law school, Mr. Wentzell served as a member of the ABA Real Property, Probate and Trust Journal. In 2004, Mr. Wentzell graduated from the New York University School of Law with an LL.M. in Taxation. He is a frequent speaker to professional groups on employee benefit matters.
Mr. Wentzell has practiced almost exclusively in the field of employee benefits law for more than 9 years, advising clients with respect to the design and administration of qualified and non-qualified deferred compensation plans. He frequently represents plan sponsors and fiduciaries before the IRS and DOL, and advises clients regarding the correction of failures under their qualified and non-qualified plans.
Education and Honors
LL.M. in Taxation, New York University, 2004
J.D., University of South Carolina, 2003
B.B.A., University of Georgia, 2000
- The Best Lawyers in America (2015)
- American Bar Association (Tax Section)
- South Carolina Bar Association (Tax Section)
- Greenville County Bar Association
In The News
- November 21, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "New Final Treasury Regulations Clarify Rules For Mid-Year Amendments To Safe Harbor 401(k) Plans"
- July 29, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "DOL Provides Fee Disclosure Relief"
- July 26, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Important New Fee Disclosure Guidance"
- January 15, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "IRS Releases Revised Retirement Plan Correction Program Including Important New Guidance for 403(b) Plans"
- October 13, 2010 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "IRS Delays Form W-2 Reporting Requirement Under PPACA"
- 2009 - Human Resources 2009: Answers to Your Top 25 Questions - "Tips on Complying With Internal Revenue Code Section 409A"
- 2007/2014 - American Chamber of Commerce Resources - "Employee Benefits - An Employer's Guide"