Charles L. Thompson, IV
Charles L. Thompson IV counsels and defends employers in wrongful termination, discrimination, and other employment-related matters. These areas include trade secrets and unfair competition, California and federal leaves of absence, ADA compliance, and wage and hour compliance.
Charles also represents employers in traditional labor law matters, including unfair labor practice and representation hearings before the NLRB and advises them regarding union activity and organizing.
He creates and provides workplace training programs to California employers on sexual harassment, workplace violence, corrective action and discipline, workplace investigations, managing the borderline employee, and avoiding wrongful termination claims.
Charles was a judicial clerk for The Honorable Patrick E. Higginbotham of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. He has been a faculty member of San Francisco Law School, where he taught constitutional law and employment discrimination law.
Charles also has served as President of and outside counsel to Mission Neighborhood Centers, a non-profit organization providing social services to the Mission District in San Francisco, California. In addition, he has served as First Vice President, Secretary and outside counsel to the NAMES Project Foundation, sponsor of the AIDS Memorial Quilt.
Building maintenance, facility, and operations Staffing Health care Hospitality Restaurant Food manufacturing Legal Transportation
Education and Honors
J.D., University of Texas, 1987
B.A., cum laude, Yale University, 1982
- Articles Editor, Texas Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- Northern California Super Lawyers (2013)
- American Bar Association (Employment and Litigation Sections)
- San Francisco Bar Association (Labor and Employment Section)
- State Bar of California (Labor and Employment Section)
- Northern California Human Resources Association Building Owners and Managers Association of San Francisco (“BOMA”)
- California Staffing Professionals - "Employment Law Update" - Mountain View - February 16, 2011
- Employer Advisory Council - "Surviving Leaves of Absence in California" - Sonoma - January 12, 2011
- Ogletree Deakins Seminar - "Eye on Employment Law" - San Francisco - October 26, 2010
- HR Star Conference - "Preparing for the Coming Upturn" - San Francisco - July 14, 2010
- Ogletree Deakins Seminar - "Managing Medical Information" - San Francisco - November 17, 2009
- Ogletree Deakins Briefing - "EFCA and Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act" - San Francisco - July 30, 2009
- San Francisco Employer Advisory Council - "Mastering Leaves of Absence in California" - San Francisco - June 4, 2009
- Northern California Human Resources Association - "Employment Litigation Trends" - San Francisco - December 11, 2008
- Council on Education in Management - "How to Design a Proactive Reasonable Accommodations Process" - Huntington Beach - October 30, 2008
- Northern California Human Resources Association - "Wage and Hour Update" - San Francisco - November 13, 2007
In The News
- January 7, 2007 - - "Fight Over Quilt Reflects Changing Times in Battle Against AIDS"
- January 4, 2007 - - "AIDS Quilt Permanent Return to City in Doubt"
- January 22, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "California’s New Disability Regulations Highlight the Importance of an Interactive Process"
- January 15, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "California’s New Disability Regulations: Clarifying the Interactive Process"
- January 4, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "California’s New Pregnancy Disability Regulations: What Every Employer Should Know"