Christina Maistrellis Broxterman
Ms. Broxterman was admitted to practice in the State of Georgia in 1997. She practices exclusively in the area of employee benefits law. She represents clients in the areas of qualified and non-qualified retirement plans, health and welfare plans, ERISA compliance, COBRA administration, compliance with the privacy rule under HIPAA, and other federal laws relating to employee benefits matters.
Ms. Broxterman has published articles on various employee benefits topics, including the funding of self-insured medical plans. She also regularly speaks on employee benefits issues.
Ms. Broxterman served as an adjunct professor at Georgia State University, where she taught a course in employee benefits at the College of Law.
Ms. Broxterman is a former Notes and Comments Editor of the Emory Law Journal. After graduating from Emory University School of Law, she served as a law clerk for the Honorable R. Lanier Anderson, III, of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
Ms. Broxterman assists clients in designing and drafting plans, advises clients with regard to the legal requirements for operating and administering plans, and prepares and submits filings to the Internal Revenue Service, Department of Labor, and the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation. She also negotiates and drafts employee benefit provisions in various types of mergers and acquisitions, and performs related due diligence.
Education and Honors
J.D., with distinction, Emory University School of Law, 1996
B.A., cum laude, Dartmouth College, 1993
- Order of the Coif
- Georgia Super Lawyers "Rising Star" (2006, 2007, 2009, 2010)
- Yellow Belt certification from Legal Lean Sigma
- State Bar of Georgia (Tax Section)
- ASPPA Benefits Council
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Worldwide Employee Benefits Network (WEB)
- Women in Pensions
- Southern Employee Benefits Conference
- Sterling Education's Employment Law Beyond the Basics Seminar - "Are you ready? The impact of the Affordable Care Act on employer-sponsored health plans" - October 8, 2013
- Construction Financial Management Association - "Are You Ready? The Impact of the Affordable Care Act on Employer-Sponsored Health Plans" - Atlanta - May 15, 2013
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies - "Executive Compensation and Continuing Traps Under Section 409A" - New Orleans - May 10, 2013
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies - "The Road From Stonewall: The Challenging Legal Landscape on LGBT Issues" - New Orleans - May 10, 2013
- AnyLabTestNow - "Health Care Reform Panel" - Atlanta - April 25, 2013
- Ogletree Deakins Briefing - "The Changing Legal Landscape on LGBT Issues in Benefits" - Atlanta - April 17, 2013
- Ogletree Deakins' Atlanta Office - "FAQs on Health Care Reform - What's on Your Mind?" - Atlanta - April 4, 2013
- Construction Financial Management Association - "401(k) Compliance - Is It Time for a Check-up?" - Atlanta - February 20, 2013
- Ogletree Deakins Seminar - "What's Going On With Healthcare Reform?" - Atlanta - October 27, 2011
- Ogletree Deakins Breakfast Briefing - "Health Care Reform Update: Are You Ready?" - Atlanta - September 2010
- SHRM - "New Cafeteria Plan Regulations - Navigating the Changing Landscape" - Atlanta - August 2010
- Ogletree Deakins Breakfast Briefing - "Historic Health Care Reform: What it Means for Employers" - Atlanta - May 2010
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "Welfare Benefits and the New Administration - Legislative and Regulatory Changes" - Miami - May 2009
- Ogletree Deakins Breakfast Briefing - "Legislative Changes to COBRA" - Atlanta - March 2009
- Northwestern Benefit Corporation - "A Northwestern Benefit Corporation Presentation on Legislative Changes to COBRA" - Atlanta - March 2009
In The News
- June 26, 2013 - - "Benefits Lawyer: Same-Sex Marriage Ruling Could Affect Georgia Businesses"
- December 1, 2011 - - "Plan Audits Can Reduce Risk of 'Oops' Pitfalls"
- August 30, 2010 - - "Diversity and Benefits"
- September 3, 2013 - SHRM.org - "Corporation May Not Assert Free-Exercise Rights in Contraceptive Mandate Challenge"
- August 23, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "Eleventh Circuit Rules on Wellness Program Under the ADA"
- June 8, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "The Defense of Marriage Act and Employee Benefits – Is the Tide Turning?"