Cynthia A. Bremer
Cynthia Bremer is the managing shareholder of the Minneapolis office. Cynthia has extensive experience in employment law and complex litigation matters. Her practice focuses on representing corporations and corporate management in all types of employment law matters. While Cynthia’s primary focus has been employment litigation defense in federal and state courts throughout the Midwest, including class and collective actions, Cynthia also advises companies on critical employment law issues involving past and present employees. In addition to extensive litigation and advising experience in employment law, Cynthia’s experience also includes securities arbitrations, commercial and civil litigation, and intellectual property litigation.
Prior to entering private practice in Minneapolis in 1999, Cynthia was in private practice in North Dakota. While in North Dakota, Cynthia was also a Special Assistant Attorney General for the State of North Dakota and represented the State in dozens of administrative hearings and appeals.
Cynthia started her legal career as an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Missouri, assigned to the Complex Litigation group. Her cases as an Assistant Attorney General included jury and bench trials, petitions for certiorari to the U.S. Supreme Court on constitutional law issues, and key involvement in one of the largest civil RICO cases ever brought in Missouri. Cynthia was also appointed as a Special Assistant Attorney General for the prosecution of election law violations.
In addition to being very involved within the legal and business communities, Cynthia is a frequent seminar presenter, addressing a variety of human resource and employment law issues.
- Tried numerous bench and jury trials, including an ERISA matter in Minnesota Federal Court
- Obtained complete defense verdict in religious discrimination jury trial in Missouri Federal Court
- Obtained numerous dismissals and favorable summary judgment rulings in employment law cases around the country, including cases involving claims under the FMLA, ADA, retaliation, sex discrimination and harassment, race discrimination, and numerous other types of claims
- Decertified an ADEA representative action
- Obtained favorable results in numerous arbitrations, including involving commercial and contract claims
- Successfully represented a client in reversing bankruptcy court and lifting stay to proceed with arbitration
- Obtained summary judgment in a patent infringement suit
- Represented clients in campaign finance and other constitutional cases
Education and Honors
J.D., Washington University School of Law, 1994
B.A., cum laude, Carleton College, 1990
- Top 50 Women Super Lawyer
- Top 40 Employment Super Lawyer
- Top 100 Minnesota Super Lawyer for all practice areas
- Super Lawyer for more than 10 years
- Order of the Barristers
- Chambers USA
- Fellow in The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society - Litigation Counsel of America
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- North Dakota State Bar Association
- Missouri State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Orono City Council Member, City of Orono, Minnesota, elected to second four-year term in November 2010 (January 2007 to present)
- Orono Planning Commission, Chair, Vice Chair and Member (2002-2006)
- Orono Citizens Police Academy Graduate and Community Volunteer
- HIRED, Chair and Executive Committee of Board of Directors
- Carleton College, Alumni Admissions Representative and Assistant Class Agent
- 2014 Rehabilitation Update - "Social Media: An Employment Nightmare" - St. Paul - September 25, 2014
- Southwest Area Human Resource Association Chapter Meeting - "Staying in Bounds: Internal Investigations" - Dickinson - August 7, 2014
- Fargo Moorhead Human Resource Association Chapter Meeting - "Staying in Bounds: Internal Investigations" - Fargo - August 5, 2014
- Minnesota CLE Employment Law Institute (Co-Presenter) - "2014 Retaliation Update - The Effect of Key Federal and State Cases Plus Changes to the Minnesota Whistleblower Law" - St. Paul - May 19, 2014
- Minnesota CLE Employment Law Institute (Panel) - "Continuing Development in Disability Litigation: The Impact of Mental Health Diagnosis on Accommodation and Related Issues" - St. Paul - May 19, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "Top 10 Tips for Avoiding (or Minimizing) Employment Litigation" - Las Vegas - May 2014
- Sioux Empire SHRM March Chapter Meeting - "Legislative Update: A Roadmap for Employers in 2014" - Sioux Falls - March 11, 2014
- Federal Civil Practice Deskbook Seminar 1 - "What Governs Federal District Court Civil Practice and Procedure in the District of Minnesota" - Minneapolis - February 25, 2014
- Minnesota CLE 2013 Labor & Employment Law Institute - Panel - "New Minnesota Employment Laws: Whistles, Boxes, Checks and Wedding Bells" - Minneapolis - November 22, 2013
- Minnesota CLE: How to Litigate a Case in Minnesota State Court - "Using Negotiation and Settlement Skills to Your Tactical Advantage - Including Rule 68 Offers of Settlement" - Minneapolis - October 2, 2013
- Ultimate Software Minneapolis Human Resources Workshop - "Internal Investigations: Risks and Rewards" - Minneapolis - September 25, 2013
- Minnesota CLE Employment Law Institute (Co-Presenter) - "You Are What You Tweet: The Risks and Rewards of Using Social Media (and the Internet) to Screen Job Applicants" - Minneapolis - May 20, 2013 - May 21, 2013
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "21st Century Technology: The New Dynamic For Employers" - New Orleans - May 2013
- The 2012 Labor and Employment Law Institute - Panel Discussion - "Ethics: When Employment Litigation Involves Executives" - Minneapolis - December 30, 2012
- Age Discrimination in Employment - "Mixed Motives in Age Cases" - Minneapolis - October 31, 2012
In The News
- April 19, 2013 - - "Twin Cities a Bulls-Eye for National Firms"
- October 24, 2012 - - "Employers Must Be Cautious In Shifting Schedules To Curb OT"
- May 15, 2012 - - "Legal issues abound in telecommuting"
- July 21, 2011 - - "8th Circuit Discrimination Exception Takes a Hit"
- February 4, 2011 - - "High Court Examines Unemployment Comp"
- October 9, 2008 - - "5 Mistakes Lawyers Make In Mediation"
- April 14, 2008 - - "Tips on Wrapping Up Your Case"
- July 18, 2007 - - "Identity Thieves Find Businesses a Rich Lode of Data"
- April 16, 2007 - - "Tying a Case Together"
- September 17, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Medical Cannabis Implications for Employers in Minnesota"
- June 23, 2014 - Minnesota Lawyer - "Clients Benefit When Opposing Counsel Work Together"
- May 2014 - Chapter 6 of Job Applicant Screening, A Practical Guide, First Edition, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education - "Using Social Media and the Internet to Screen Job Applicants"
- February 2014 - Federal District of Minnesota Civil Practice Deskbook, 1st Edition - "Chapter 1: What Governs Federal District Court Civil Practice and Procedure in the District of Minnesota"
- January 7, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Applying Wage and Hour Laws to the 21st Century Series: Concerns Involving Exempt Employees"
- December 5, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Applying Wage and Hour Laws to the 21st Century Series: Telecommuting Risks and Rewards"
- October 26, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Records of Potential Off-the-Clock Work Violations: GPS Tracking Devices"
- October 11, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Documentation of Potential Off-the-Clock Work Violations via Electronic Devices: Are You Prepared?"
- September 20, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Wage and Hour Series: Meal Breaks—A Different Kind of Off-the-Clock Concern"
- August 21, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Recent DOL Activities to Combat Off-The-Clock Work Violations"
- August 8, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Wage and Hour Series: Computers, Equipment, and Tools—Oh My!"
- August 1, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Wage and Hour Series: Examples of Off-The-Clock Work Violations Involving Use of Technology"
- July 5, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Applying Wage and Hour Laws to the 21st Century Workforce"
- 2011 - Chapter 13 of Wage and Hour Handbook: Federal and Minnesota, First Edition, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education - "Defense-Side Analysis Of Wage-Hour Litigation Issues"
- May 2007 - Minnesota Continuing Legal Education - "Summary Guide to Rules Regarding Discovery: Federal Court and Minnesota State Court"