Dara L. DeHaven
Ms. DeHaven joined the firm in 1992, as a shareholder in the Atlanta office. She concentrates her practice on state and federal court litigation and general labor and employment law. In addition to employment discrimination litigation, Ms. DeHaven has expertise in Fair Labor Standards Act litigation and workplace audits, affirmative action program development and OFCCP audits, and drafting and enforcement of restrictive covenants. She also provides counsel on a broad range of employment law topics particularly employment discrimination, wrongful termination, workplace torts, reductions-in-force, the Family Medical and Leave Act, Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act and the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA). Ms. DeHaven advises clients in developing, implementing and monitoring preventive maintenance programs to ensure regulatory compliance and to assist in dealing with employment matters before they reach litigation. This practice includes policy design and review, supervisory training, investigation, analysis, and resolution of complex employment situations. This preventive practice is based on substantial experience representing management before the EEOC, NLRB, OFCCP, U.S. Department of Labor, and state and federal courts.
Ms. DeHaven is a frequent speaker to local and national businesses, professional, and civic organizations on labor and employment-related issues. She is listed in the Best Lawyers in America. Since 2000, she has been named annually to Atlanta magazine’s “Super Lawyers” and Georgia Trend magazine’s “Legal Elite.” She is included in Chambers USA America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the labor and employment category and is listed in Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel edition.
Ms. DeHaven holds a Master’s degree in History and in University Administration and served as an Assistant Dean at Emory University in Atlanta. Ms. DeHaven is active in local and national civic and nonprofit associations and currently serves as a member of the Board of Visitors of the Duke University School of Law.
Education and Honors
J.D., Duke University School of Law, 1980
M.A., Duke University, 1974
B.A., Duke University, 1973
- Best Lawyers In America
- Super Lawyers – Atlanta Magazine
- Legal Elite – Georgia Trend Magazine
- Chambers USA – America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the labor and employment category and is listed in Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel edition
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- American Bar Association (Labor and General Practice Sections)
- State Bar of Georgia (Labor and Litigation Sections)
- Atlanta Bar Association (Labor, Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution - Mediation Sections)
- Bleckley Inn of Court
- Lawyer's Club of Atlanta
In The News
- April 2012 - - "How Contractors Can Prepare For Final Regs on Hiring Disabled Individuals"
- May 26, 2011 - - "Employee Conduct a Thorny, but Critical, Issue"
- May 13, 2010 - - "Noncompete Clause Changes Headed to Voters"
- December 8, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "OFCCP Issues Final Rule Prohibiting Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Discrimination by Federal Contractors"
- October 7, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "OFCCP’s New Scheduling Letter and Expanded Itemized Listing"
- September 2, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "OFCCP Proposes Burdensome New Compensation Data Reporting Forms for Federal Contractors"
- August 20, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "OFCCP’s Proposed Equal Pay Report Provides Little Useful Information"
- June 18, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Your Guide to the Proposed Rules Under Executive Order 13658 Setting a Minimum Wage for Federal Contractors"
- June 3, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Some Surprises in DOL’s Just Issued Spring 2014 Regulatory Agenda"
- May 23, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "OFCCP’s New Tricare Moratorium Directive: Delay of Game"
- March 19, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "OFCCP Agrees to 5-Year Enforcement Moratorium for TRICARE Providers"
- March 13, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Who Will Be Entitled to Overtime Under Obama’s Expected Rule Change?"
- August 28, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "OFCCP Establishes New 7 Percent Utilization Goal for Individuals With Disabilities and Benchmarks for Veterans"
- August 2, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Hospital Jurisdiction Revisited—ARB Finds Florida Hospital Is Subject to OFCCP Jurisdiction"
- April 15, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "OFCCP’s New Compensation Directive: The Agency’s Continued Search for Systemic—or Any—Discrimination in Compensation"
- January 9, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "OFCCP Proposes New 7% Hiring Goal for Individuals with Disabilities"
- May 12, 2011 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "Governor Signs New Georgia Noncompete Law"