David E. Jones
David Jones formerly served as a presidential appointee, holding the post of Legal Counsel and Special Advisor to the Chairman at the Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission in Washington, D.C. Mr. Jones is a former Employer Co-Chair of the American Bar Association's Occupational Safety and Health Law Committee. At Ogletree Deakins, Mr. Jones heads the firm’s Workplace Safety Practice Group. He engages in a nationwide practice representing corporate employers on OSHA-related matters, much of which includes serving as a senior strategic advisor to clients on workplace fatalities, catastrophic accidents, and OSHA inspections. His services often include:
- providing advice in the immediate aftermath of serious workplace accidents
- conducting privileged accident investigations
- interfacing with OSHA personnel and representatives of other interested parties
- resolving OSHA citations and whistleblower complaints
- litigating contested OSHA cases
As senior strategist, Mr. Jones has provided counsel to employers on many significant OSHA enforcement matters. Often, his interventions have resulted in an early resolution of the controversy, the effective management of related employee and public relations concerns, and a path forward that reduces the potential for recurrent complications.
Mr. Jones also engages in select labor and employment special projects, including: managing employment litigation; investigating and negotiating pre-litigation resolution of employment claims; and helping clients achieve labor relations objectives.
Among his civic activities, Mr. Jones formerly served as Member and Chairman of the Board of the Metropolitan Atlanta Opportunities Industrialization Center, Inc. He is a member of the Gate City Bar Association, the oldest African-American Bar Association in the State of Georgia. Mr. Jones also is an avid triathlete, training for and competing in swim-bike-run triathlons.
In recognition of his long and distinguished career in the practice of labor and employment law in accordance with the highest ethical and professional standards, in 2011 Mr. Jones was elected as a Fellow of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers.
Education and Honors
J.D., Suffolk University School of Law, 1979
B.S., Cornell University, School of Industrial and Labor Relations, 1976
- Fellow, College of Labor and Employment Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America (2014 & 2015)
- Massachusetts State Bar, 1979
- Georgia State Bar, 1983
- New York State Bar, 1986
- American Bar Association (Immediate past Employer Co-Chair, Former Program Chair, and current member of the Occupational Safety and Health Law Committee, Labor and Employment Section)
- American Bar Association (Labor and Employment Law Section)
- State Bar of Georgia (Labor and Employment Law Section)
- Atlanta Bar Association (Labor and Employment Law Section)
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Labor Relations Committee (OSHA Subcommittee)
- Authored rulemaking comments of Society for Human Resources Management on proposed OSHA Ergonomics Program Standard
- Occupational Hazards magazine (former Managing Editor)
- Manufacturers Alliance for Productivity and Innovation - "OSHA Regulatory and Enforcement Update" - Atlanta - October 16, 2014
- McKee Foods Corporation - "What to Expect from OSHA" - Collegedale - September 26, 2014
- McKee Foods Corporation - "Labor and Safety Issues" - Collegedale - September 26, 2014
- McKee Foods Corporation - "TOSHA Today: Strategies for Effective Interface" - Collegedale - September 26, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Corporate Labor and Employment Counsel Exclusive - "Workplace Safety: Advanced Legal Strategies for Dealing with OSHA" - Dana Point - September 19, 2014
- Fabricators and Manufacturers Association International Safety Conference 2014 - "Late Braking OSHA Issues - An Interactive Discussion" - Rock Island - April 23, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Corporate Labor and Employment Counsel Exclusive - "Headline News: The Latest Labor and Employment Law Developments, Trends, and Statistics" - Charleston - November 7, 2013
- National Association of African Americans in Human Resources (Atlanta Chapter) - "Today's OSHA - What Employers Need to Know to Avoid Excessive Safety Entanglements" - Atlanta - October 9, 2013
- The Association of Union Constructors 2013 Leadership Conference - "OSHA in President Obama's Second Term" - Greensboro - May 7, 2013 - May 10, 2013
- Fabricators and Manufacturers Association International Safety Conference 2013 - "OSHA Takes On Fabricators and Manufacturers: How to Ensure Your Presses Keep Punching and Bending" - Nashville - April 24, 2013
- Archer Daniels Midland Company Corn Division Safety Meeting - "OSHA Litigation Update" - Decatur - April 23, 2013
- American Bar Association Occupational Safety and Health Law Committee 2013 Midwinter Meeting - "The Train Has Arrived: OSHA's Whistleblower Protection Office and the Agency's Increased Emphasis on Whistleblowing" - Laguna Beach - March 5, 2013 - March 8, 2013
- Scholastic Inc. OSHA Discussion - "Avoiding SVEP and Other Significant OSHA Cases" - New York - February 13, 2013
- Time Warner Cable EHS Discussion - "Avoiding SVEP and Other Significant OSHA Cases" - Charlotte - February 8, 2013
- Parker Hannifin Corporation EHS Conference - "Avoiding SVEP and Other Significant OSHA Cases" - Memphis - November 13, 2012 - November 15, 2012
In The News
- August 1, 2013 - - "Safety: The Never-Ending Battle"
- December 10, 2010 - - "Will OSHA Let the Past be the Past?"
- August 1, 2009 - - "OSHA and Air Cargo Company Face Off"
- February 7, 2008 - - "Court Could Clarify Employer Liability: Attorneys"
- January 11, 2008 - - "Job and Product Safety Outlook 2008: Litigation"
- August 28, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "FAA Lets OSHA Standards Board the Plane"
- 2004/2008 - American Bar Association Treatise on Occupational Safety and Health Law (Chapter Author) - "2004 and 2008 Supplements"