David J. Cattie
David Cattie joined Ogletree Deakins in 2007. He focuses primarily on employment litigation, including workplace discrimination and personal injury claims. David has tried numerous cases to verdict in both local and federal courts. In addition, he has argued several appellate cases before the U.S Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit and the Supreme Court of the Virgin Islands.
David also represents indigent defendants in criminal matters on behalf of the firm.
David is a licensed to practice in the Territory of the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the State of New Jersey, and the U.S. District Court for Puerto Rico. David is also a member of the bars for the Third and Eleventh Circuit United States Courts of Appeals.
Trial Court Matters
- Mark Vitalis v. Sun Constructors, Inc., et al.; U.S. District Court for the Virgin Islands, Civil No. 2005-101. Obtained complete defense verdict in race/national origin workplace discrimination claim (Title VII; § 1981 action). Trial was conducted in what is considered one of the most “plaintiff friendly” jurisdictions in the United States.
- Illaraza v. Hovensa, 2010 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 77402 (D.V.I. July 30, 2010); Illaraza v. Hovensa, L.L.C., 2010 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 56212 (D.V.I. June 7, 2010). Obtained 12(b)(6) dismissals of plaintiffs’ claims against former employer for defamation, false imprisonment, and malicious prosecution.
- Washington v. Hovensa, LLC, 2010 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 42197 (D.V.I. Apr. 28, 2010). District Court entered dismissal of plaintiff’s personal injury claim against company for lack of subject matter jurisdiction. Court concluded that, contrary to plaintiff’s assertion, she was not a citizen of Texas at the time she filed suit and, therefore, there was no diversity of jurisdiction.
- People of the Virgin Islands v. Shandale Francis, Superior Court of the Virgin Islands, Criminal Case No. 2009-CR-077. Obtained acquittal of client charged with rape and robbery.
- People of the Virgin Islands v. Charmaine Clarke; Superior Court of the Virgin Islands, Criminal Case No. 2008-CR-371. Obtained judgment of acquittal on behalf of client charged with first degree murder.
- People of the Virgin Islands v. Steven Baxter, Superior Court of the Virgin Islands, Criminal Case No. 2006-CR-102. Jury returned a verdict of “not guilty” for client charged with first degree murder.
- Frett-Smith v. Vanterpool, 511 F.3d 396 (3d Cir. 2008). Third Circuit affirmed outright dismissal of case where plaintiff had obtained a $1,000,000+ verdict against construction company for negligent installation of lighting fixtures in a high school.
- United States v. Silveus, 542 F.3d 993 (3d Cir. 2008). Obtained reversal of conviction for client accused of harboring an illegal alien.
- Woods v. Virgin Islands, 274 Fed. Appx. 191 (3d Cir. 2008). Obtained reversal of a judgment of conviction for client convicted of third degree assault and assault with a deadly weapon.
- Virgin Islands v. Suarez, 242 Fed. Appx. 845 (3d Cir. 2007). Third Circuit granted an outright reversal of client’s conviction for first degree rape.
Education and Honors
LL.M., University of San Diego School of Law, 2001
J.D., Pennsylvania State University Dickinson School of Law, 2000
B.A., St. Joseph’s University, 1997
- AV Preeminent Rated Attorney by Martindale-Hubbell
- Virgin Islands Bar Association