Elizabeth B. Partlow
Elizabeth B. (Beth) Partlow is a shareholder in the firm’s Columbia, South Carolina, office. Her practice is focused in the area of environmental law.
Prior to joining Ogletree Deakins in 1996, Beth served as Legal Counsel to Governor David M. Beasley of South Carolina, specializing in environmental issues. She represented the Governor on the Southeast Compact Commission, the Southern States Energy Board, the Hazardous Waste Management Select Oversight Committee, and as a Natural Resource Trustee. Beth previously served as Deputy Director for the Environment for former South Carolina Governor Carroll Campbell, Jr.; as staff counsel for the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control; and as staff attorney for the South Carolina Supreme Court.
Beth represents clients from a wide range of industries, including manufacturing plants, pulp and paper mills, cement production facilities, real estate developers, waste management facilities, and petroleum distributors. She regularly defends clients in state and federal administrative enforcement actions and citizen suits in cases arising under clean air, clean water, hazardous waste, and Superfund (including community right-to-know) statutes and the common law. She also assists clients in obtaining environmental permits, conducting environmental audits and due diligence inquiries, and negotiating with regulators to achieve reasonable solutions to environmental issues.
Education and Honors
J.D., University of South Carolina School of Law, 1985
B.A., magna cum laude, University of South Carolina, 1982
- Best Lawyers in America (2005-present; 2015 - Columbia SC - Environmental Law "Lawyer of the Year")
- Chambers USA (2014)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Order of the Palmetto
- South Carolina Bar (Council Member, Natural Resources Section)
- Editorial Board, South Carolina Lawyer
- Richland County Bar Association
- South Carolina Chamber of Commerce (Member, Environmental Technical Committee)
- Carolinas Air Pollution Control Association (Board Member)
- Nancy K. Perry Children’s Shelter (Board Member)
- Chair, Atlantic Interstate Low-Level Radioactive Waste Management Compact
In The News
- February 14, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Time-Barred Claim . . . Or Is It? Supreme Court Agrees To Review Fourth Circuit State Statute of Repose Case"
- January 29, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Do I Have to Think About Environmental Compliance?"
- January 7, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "What to Expect From EPA in 2014"
- January 2, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "EPA Adopts New Standard for Environmental Due Diligence"
- November 7, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "EPA Raises Civil Penalty Amounts"
- August 23, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "South Carolina Supreme Court Issues Important Ruling on Nuisance, Trespass, and Liability for Offensive Odors"
- July 24, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "At Long Last . . . EPA Announces Rule on Industrial Solvent-Contaminated Wipes"
- July 18, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Time-Barred Claim? Fourth Circuit Invalidates State Statute of Repose in Contamination Cases"