Eric C. Schweitzer
Mr. Schweitzer is the Managing Shareholder of the firm’s Charleston, South Carolina, office. He has practiced in the labor, employment and environmental law fields for more than thirty-five years.
Mr. Schweitzer is experienced in all aspects of labor relations and frequently assists employers establish and maintain union-free employee relations programs. He represents management in collective bargaining and labor arbitrations in addition to advising clients regarding obligations under state and federal labor and employment discrimination laws and regulations. He has extensive experience defending unfair labor practice charges and in developing and implementing strike contingency plans for employers.
In the environmental area, Mr. Schweitzer has extensive experience conducting environmental due diligence investigations in the course of acquisitions or sales of manufacturing and other facilities.
He is a past president of the Greenville County Bar Association, currently serves on the Professional Responsibility Committee of the South Carolina Bar Association, and is listed in The Best Lawyers in America, 1994 to present editions. He is a former Medical Service Corps officer in the United States Air Force where he served in the Philippines and Viet Nam and participated in the release of POWs from Hanoi.
Education and Honors
J.D., University of Mississippi School of Law, 1975
B.B.A., University of Mississippi, 1969
- Best Lawyers in America (Named Charleston, SC Labor Law - Management Lawyer of the Year, 2012)
- Best Lawyers in America (2013)
- Best Lawyers in America (Named Charleston, SC Employment Law - Management Lawyer of the Year, 2013)
- South Carolina Super Lawyer (2013)
- American Bar Association
- Mississippi State Bar Association
- Greenville Bar Association (President 1994)
- South Carolina Bar Association (Chair, Natural Resources Section, 1991-1992; Chair, Professional Responsibility Committee, 2009-2011)
In The News
- July 19, 2011 - - "Employers Criticize Proposal to Speed Union Votes"
- May 22, 2011 - - "Labor Case Ignites Debate on Unions"
- April 22, 2011 - - "Boeing-NLRB Dispute Could be Long, Costly Fight"
- April 22, 2011 - - "Lawsuit: S.C. vs. Big Labor"
- October 11, 2009 - - "Unions that Gain Ground in S.C. Can Also Lose It"