Harold P. Coxson
Hal Coxson is a nationally recognized lawyer with over 35 years experience in all aspects of labor and employment law in Washington, DC. He is highly respected for his experience and expertise in government relations and as an advocate on behalf of business clients before Congress, the Executive Branch and independent federal regulatory agencies. He chairs the Firm’s Government Relations Practice Group and is a Principal in Ogletree Governmental Affairs, Inc., the Firm’s wholly-owned subsidiary.
Mr. Coxson concentrates on traditional labor law and international labor relations. He has helped shape national labor policy through oral arguments and the filing of amicus curiae briefs on behalf of business clients in numerous landmark cases before the National Labor Relations Board and federal courts of appeals, including the U.S. Supreme Court. In addition, he has represented the U.S. Employer community before the International Labor Organization, and has defended clients in global corporate campaigns.
In his government relations practice, Mr. Coxson represents individual corporations and national trade associations, as well as business coalitions which he has been responsible for organizing on a variety of the most important workplace issues over the past quarter century. He has testified on behalf of business clients and as an expert witness before federal administrative agencies and both Houses of Congress.
In addition, Hal has a close working relationship with many of the national trade associations in Washington. He is Executive Director of the First Tuesday Group, an informal organization of thirty-five national trade associations and professional organizations involved in workplace issues. He serves on the Boards and committees of many trade associations, including the Labor Relations Committee of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce where he co-chairs its International Perspectives Subcommittee.
Hal is a frequent speaker on labor and employment topics. He appears as a guest on radio and television talk shows and panels. In addition, he has written several noteworthy publications on workplace law, including most recently “The National Labor Relations Board in the Obama Administration: What Changes to Expect” (U.S. Chamber of Commerce, 2009) which has become required reading in several law schools throughout the country. Currently, he is co-editor of “NLRB Insight,” published bi-monthly by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and is on the Board of Trustees of HR Advisor.
Hal has had numerous speeches and debates before LERA, the Council on Labor Law Equality, US LERN, the Mercer Oil Forum, the Association of Corporate Counsel, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, National Association of Manufacturers, Society for Human Resource Management, Edison Electric Institute, Associated General Contractors of America, American Bakers Association, Association of Equipment Manufacturers, North American Transportation Employee Relations Association, National Association of Waterfront Employers, Retail Industry Leaders Association, Food Marketing Institute, National Retail Federation, the Business Roundtable, WCI, South Carolina Chamber of Commerce, and Indiana Chamber of Commerce, as well as at meetings/conferences sponsored by the American Bar Association, National Labor Relations Board, and the Federal Mediation & Conciliation Service. He speaks frequently at Ogletree Deakins Annual Workplace Strategies Seminars, Not Your Father’s NLRB, and various Ogletree Deakins Office Seminars across the country.
Education and Honors
J.D., American University Law School, 1972
B.A., Franklin & Marshall College, 1969
- Law Review Managing Editor
- AV "Preeminent" Peer Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Lawyers Directory
- Fellow, College of Labor and Employment Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America
- Super Lawyers of Washington
- International Who's Who Legal: Labour and Employment (2014)
- American Bar Association (Labor and Employment Law Section; International Law Section)
- Not Your Father's NLRB - "A One-Two Punch - Two Dramatic Regulations That Will Mark a Sea Change in Union Organizing" - New Orleans - October 27, 2011
In The News
- January 1, 2014 - - "Employment Regulation And Legislation To Watch In 2014"
- August 22, 2013 - - "NLRB GC Invalidity Ruling to Trigger New Wave of Challenges"
- June 1, 2013 - - "Wobbly Agency Staggers Sideways"
- April 22, 2013 - - "Playing Political Chess with the NLRB"
- April 9, 2013 - - "NLRB News - Obama Announces Intent to Nominate Three Members to Board, Industry Reacts"
- March 8, 2013 - - "No WARN Act Exemption for Sequestration, Experts Say"
- February 8, 2013 - - "NLRB Appointee Ruling May Close Book On Grad Asst. Unions"
- November 2011 - - "NLRB Delivers Three More Union-Friendly Decisions"
- October 28, 2011 - - "Tables Turned"
- September 5, 2011 - - "Power Boost for Labor"
- August 26, 2011 - - "Congress May Cripple NLRB Post-Liebman, Becker"
- August 25, 2011 - - "Handbook Hardball"
- August 2011 - - "Pro-Union NLRB Alarms Employers"
- January 13, 2011 - - "NLRB Offers Controversial Ruling"
- September 24, 2010 - - "Contractors Brace for Fight Over High - Road Rules"
- September 30, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "What Has the “Nuclear Option” Wrought?"
- July 25, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Here We Go Again—Significant Threat of Automatic Debarment from Government Contracts Slipping in Under the Wire!"
- July 12, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "The New Bipartisan Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act"
- July 10, 2014 - Practical Law Company - "Expert Q&A on Noel Canning and Its Aftermath"
- June 30, 2014 - JD Supra - "What Does 'Noel Canning' Mean for the NLRB's Previously Decided Cases?"
- June 26, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "Brief of the Council on Labor Law Equality as Amicus Curiae in Support of Respondent Noel Canning"
- June 24, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "House Subcommittee Critiques Aggressive Agenda at National Labor Relations Board"
- June 3, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Some Surprises in DOL’s Just Issued Spring 2014 Regulatory Agenda"
- May 13, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Recent Board Decisions Reflect Different Styles of Dissenting"
- April 14, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Ogletree Deakins’ Founding Shareholder Homer Deakins Presents Testimony to NLRB on Historic Election Rule Proposal"
- February 6, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Is an “Ambush” The Best Way for Unions to Win Representation Elections?"
- February 5, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "NLRB Reissues “Ambush Election” Rules On Steroids"
- January 13, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Supreme Court Hears Oral Argument in the Noel Canning “Recess Appointments” Case"
- December 31, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "A Review of Labor and Employment Policy in 2013: What’s Next in 2014?"
- October 30, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Senate Confirms Griffin to be National Labor Relations Board General Counsel"