Drawing lessons from 25 years of litigating toxic workplace relationships, Jathan works with employers to improve leadership and employee engagement. As Director of Employee Engagement Solutions, he provides clients customized training, coaching and consulting solutions to meet their challenges and achieve their goals.
Jathan is an internationally published author, including Managing To Stay Out of Court: How to Avoid The 8 Deadly Sins of Mismanagement, (SHRM & Berrett-Koehler Publishers), which Dr. Stephen R. Covey described as "Marvelous! Every manager will benefit immensely," and which Richard Drezen of the Washington Post described as "an extraordinary useful book for managers and workers." Jathan is also the author of The Star Profile: A Management Tool To Unleash Employee Potential, (Davis-Black Publishing), winner of the 2009 Independent Publishers Gold Medal for Business & Career at Book Expo America.
Jathan is Editor of the SHRM - Ogletree Deakins book series on HR, labor and employment law.
Before refocusing his practice on training, coaching, and consulting, Jathan litigated workplace disputes. Before moving to Portland, Oregon, he established his own employment law boutique firm in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Representative experiences include:
- Serving as a faculty member of ongoing company educational programs, including Portland General Electric and 1-800 CONTACTS, Inc.
- Coaching and consulting with executives and managers on management, communication, leadership and problem-solving.
- Training and coaching for HR professionals on working effectively with management to prevent claims and improve employee engagement.
- Teaching, advising, and conducting workplace investigations.
- Providing anti-harassment training and coaching designed to create environments based on dignity, respect, and professionalism.
Education and Honors
J.D., University of Chicago, 1982
B.A., with honors, Indiana University, 1979
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Gold Medal winner, Independent Publisher Book Awards, Book Expo America May, 2009 - The Star Profile: A Management Tool to Unleash Employee Potential, (Davies-Black Publishing 2008)
- Library Journal recommended selection: Managing to Stay Out of Court: How to Avoid the 8 Deadly Sins of Mismanagement (SHRM and Berrett-Koehler Publishers 2005) - “an extraordinarily useful book that will benefit managers and workers.”
- Employment Lawyer of the Year, Utah State Bar (2005)
- Citizen Lawyer of the Year, J. Reuben Clark Law Society, Salt Lake Chapter (2006)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, (since 2002, Utah then Oregon)
- Best Lawyers in America (since 2003, Utah then Oregon)
- Mountain States Super Lawyers (2007)
- SHRM, Preferred Speaker List
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rating
- Legal 500: Labor and Employment - Workplace and Employment Counseling
- National Speakers Association (NSA) (professional member)
- American Society of Training & Development (ASTD)
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- Editor, Oregon HR Specialist
- Management Labor & Employment Roundtable (MLER)
- Frequent columnist for HR Magazine
- Editor, SHRM Labor & Employment Law Book Series
- SHRM Annual Conference - "The Performance Review" - Orlando - June 24, 2014
- Marion County - "Leadership and Employee Engagement" - Salem - April 1, 2014
- Portland General Electric - "The 8 Leadership Virtues" - Wilsonville - March 4, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Shareholders Retreat - "Leadership & Employee Engagement" - Atlanta - January 25, 2014
- Reser's Fine Foods - "The Star Profile" - Las Vegas - January 23, 2014
- Caring Places Management - "Workplace Accountability & Employee Selection" - Forest Grove - December 11, 2013
- Ogletree Deakins Corporate Labor and Employment Counsel Exclusive - "Global Investigations" - Charleston - November 8, 2013
- Ogletree Deakins Managing a Workforce 2014 - "Keep Your But Out of Your Apology" - Tampa - October 29, 2013
- Zions Bancorp - "Leadership, Accountability and Employee Engagement" - Salt Lake City - October 25, 2013
- Human Resources Management Association Annual Conference - "Five Tools to Resolve Conflict Constructively" - St. Louis - October 23, 2013
- Durham, Jones & Pinegar - "Jerks at Work - Creating a Jerk-Free Zone" - Salt Lake City - October 22, 2013
- Utah Society of Healthcare Human Resources Administration - "The Workplace Investigations Checklist" - Salt Lake City - October 21, 2013
- University of Chicago Law School Labor & Employment Law Society - "An Employment Lawyer's Journey" - Chicago - October 16, 2013
- Associated General Contractors Annual Construction HR and Learning Professionals Conference - "HR, T & D...and the CEO" - Chicago - October 15, 2013
- Ogletree Deakins Managing a Workforce 2014 - "Keep Your But Out of Your Apology" - Indianapolis - October 10, 2013
In The News
- December 10, 2013 - - "Accountability & The 'Quiet Herd Cutter'"
- November 18, 2013 - - "10 Tips For Worry-Free Performance Reviews"
- October 2013 - - "After They're Gone"
- May 16, 2013 - - "Permission to Speak Freely to the Boss"
- June 6, 2012 - - "Sarcastic E-mails Are The Stupidest"
- December 3, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Overcoming Diversity Challenges—Interview With Director Of Professional Development & Inclusion Michelle Wimes"
- November 20, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Giving Thanks: In Employee Relations, Small Gestures Go a Long Way—An Interview With Law Firm Founder Jimmie Stewart"
- November 18, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Lessons in Organizational Teamwork From an NBA All-Star"
- October 24, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "The Secrets to Respectful Terminations: An Interview With HR Executive and Former State Bar President Charlotte Miller"
- September 11, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "How Accountable Are America’s Workplaces? An Interview with Linda Galindo"
- September 5, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Put Pizzazz in Your Online Presentations: Interview With the Author of The Virtual Presenter’s Handbook"
- September 4, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Maximizing Leadership Training: A Case Study and Interview with a Senior Vice-President of Human Resources"
- August 12, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "How to Keep Your “But” Out of Your Apology"
- August 1, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Leadership & Humility: An Interview with Homer Deakins"
- July 24, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Can the Performance Review Be Fixed? An Interview with Author Paul Falcone"
- July 18, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Mistakes to Avoid When Implementing Leadership Training—Interview with Virginia Kinon of MidFirst Bank"
- July 14, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Engagement and Community Volunteer Work—An Interview with Jonathan A. Segal"
- March 2013 - SHRM - "Resolving Conflict: Fight, Flight or Aikido?"
- July 30, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Moving Employees Up The Engagement Scale"
- July 2012 - HR Magazine - "Like Manager Like Employee"