Drawing lessons from 25 years of litigating toxic workplace relationships, Jathan works with employers to improve leadership and employee engagement. As Director of Employee Engagement Solutions, he provides clients customized training, coaching and consulting solutions to meet their challenges and achieve their goals.
Jathan is an internationally published author, including Managing To Stay Out of Court: How to Avoid The 8 Deadly Sins of Mismanagement, (SHRM & Berrett-Koehler Publishers), which Dr. Stephen R. Covey described as "Marvelous! Every manager will benefit immensely," and which Richard Drezen of the Washington Post described as "an extraordinary useful book for managers and workers." Jathan is also the author of The Star Profile: A Management Tool To Unleash Employee Potential, (Davis-Black Publishing), winner of the 2009 Independent Publishers Gold Medal for Business & Career at Book Expo America.
Jathan is Editor of the SHRM - Ogletree Deakins book series on HR, labor and employment law.
Before refocusing his practice on training, coaching, and consulting, Jathan litigated workplace disputes. Before moving to Portland, Oregon, he established his own employment law boutique firm in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Representative experiences include:
- Serving as a faculty member of ongoing company educational programs, including Portland General Electric and 1-800 CONTACTS, Inc.
- Coaching and consulting with executives and managers on management, communication, leadership and problem-solving.
- Training and coaching for HR professionals on working effectively with management to prevent claims and improve employee engagement.
- Teaching, advising, and conducting workplace investigations.
- Providing anti-harassment training and coaching designed to create environments based on dignity, respect, and professionalism.
Education and Honors
J.D., University of Chicago, 1982
B.A., with honors, Indiana University, 1979
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Gold Medal winner, Independent Publisher Book Awards, Book Expo America May, 2009 - The Star Profile: A Management Tool to Unleash Employee Potential, (Davies-Black Publishing 2008)
- Library Journal recommended selection: Managing to Stay Out of Court: How to Avoid the 8 Deadly Sins of Mismanagement (SHRM and Berrett-Koehler Publishers 2005) - “an extraordinarily useful book that will benefit managers and workers.”
- Employment Lawyer of the Year, Utah State Bar (2005)
- Citizen Lawyer of the Year, J. Reuben Clark Law Society, Salt Lake Chapter (2006)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, (since 2002, Utah then Oregon)
- Best Lawyers in America (since 2003, Utah then Oregon)
- Mountain States Super Lawyers (2007)
- SHRM, Preferred Speaker List
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rating
- Legal 500: Labor and Employment - Workplace and Employment Counseling
- National Speakers Association (NSA)
- American Society of Training & Development (ASTD)
- Oregon Organization Development Network (ODN)
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- Management Labor & Employment Roundtable (MLER)
- Contributor to HR Magazine and SHRM Online
- Editor of the SHRM-Ogletree Deakins HR, Labor & Employment Law Book Series
- Association of Legal Administrators HR Conference - "4 Tools to Resolve Conflict Constructively" - Las Vegas - November 4, 2014
- Association of Legal Administrators HR Conference - "The Leadership Approach to Improving Employee Engagement" - Las Vegas - November 3, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Employment Law Conference - "Take the Edge Off - 4 Tools to Resolve Conflict Constructively" - Denver - September 26, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Employment Law Conference - "Leadership & Employee Engagement" - Cleveland - August 21, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Employment Law Conference - "Leadership & Employee Engagement" - Columbus - August 20, 2014
- Toyota Industrial Equipment Mfg. - "Leadership Skills Development" - Columbus - August 12, 2014 - August 14, 2014
- Portland State University, School of Business Administration - "Maximizing the HR-Operations Relationship" - Portland - July 15, 2014
- SHRM Annual Conference - "The Performance Review" - Orlando - June 24, 2014
- SHRM Annual Conference Smart Stage - "Tools for Tough Manager Conversations" - Orlando - June 23, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Seminar - "Leadership and Employee Engagement" - Tampa - June 20, 2014
- University of Utah Hospital & Clinics - "HR Summit" - Salt Lake City - June 10, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Seminar - "Leadership and Employee Engagement" - Los Angeles - June 6, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Seminar - "Leadership and Employee Engagement" - Orange County - June 5, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Seminar - "Leadership and Employee Engagement" - New York - May 29, 2014
- 1-800 CONTACTS, Inc. - "Leadership & Employee Engagement" - Draper - May 15, 2014
In The News
- January 3, 2014 - - "The Fired Elephant in the Room"
- December 10, 2013 - - "Accountability & The 'Quiet Herd Cutter'"
- November 18, 2013 - - "10 Tips For Worry-Free Performance Reviews"
- October 2013 - - "After They're Gone"
- May 16, 2013 - - "Permission to Speak Freely to the Boss"
- June 6, 2012 - - "Sarcastic E-mails Are The Stupidest"
- June 24, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Workplace Lessons from the NFL—An Interview with Ogletree Deakins Shareholder and Former Offensive Lineman, John Gerak"
- June 7, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Aligning Goals, Resources, and People for Successful Change: An Interview With Tom Robertson, Ph.D."
- June 2, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Finding Your Organization’s Second Wind: An Interview with Consultant Kent Layden"
- May 22, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Best Practices in Employee Engagement: Interview of TIAA-CREF’s Head of Organizational Effectiveness"
- April 1, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Leadership Lessons from Training Animals: Interview with Certified Speaking Professional Shawna Schuh"
- March 11, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Making the Case for Employee Engagement: A Hard Numbers Approach"
- February 27, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Employee Engagement & The Bottom Line—Interview With Best-Selling Author Kevin Kruse"
- February 21, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "How To Confront A Performance Problem Without Being A “Quiet Herd Cutter”"
- February 1, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "From Employment Litigation to Employee Engagement"
- January 28, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Interview With #1 Bestselling Author Daniel H. Pink"
- January 22, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "What’s the Connection Between Great Customer Service and Employee Engagement? An Interview with a Law Firm CMO"
- January 2, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Can An Annual Performance Review Work? A Case Study, Success Story, and Interview"
- 2014 - The Hollywood Sentinel - "How to Give Your Relationships the 'MIDAS' Touch"
- December 18, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Want To Be An Effective Leader? Become An Executive Coach—Interview With Company President Ravila Gupta"
- December 17, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Law Firm Accountability and the “Quiet Herd Cutter” Problem"