Drawing lessons from 25 years of litigating toxic workplace relationships, Jathan works with employers to improve leadership and employee engagement. As Director of Employee Engagement Solutions, he provides clients customized training, coaching and consulting solutions to meet their challenges and achieve their goals.
Jathan is an internationally published author, including Managing To Stay Out of Court: How to Avoid The 8 Deadly Sins of Mismanagement, (SHRM & Berrett-Koehler Publishers), which Dr. Stephen R. Covey described as "Marvelous! Every manager will benefit immensely," and which Richard Drezen of the Washington Post described as "an extraordinary useful book for managers and workers." Jathan is also the author of The Star Profile: A Management Tool To Unleash Employee Potential, (Davis-Black Publishing), winner of the 2009 Independent Publishers Gold Medal for Business & Career at Book Expo America.
Jathan is Editor of the SHRM - Ogletree Deakins book series on HR, labor and employment law.
Before refocusing his practice on training, coaching, and consulting, Jathan litigated workplace disputes. Before moving to Portland, Oregon, he established his own employment law boutique firm in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Representative experiences include:
- Serving as a faculty member of ongoing company educational programs, including Portland General Electric and 1-800 CONTACTS, Inc.
- Coaching and consulting with executives and managers on management, communication, leadership and problem-solving.
- Training and coaching for HR professionals on working effectively with management to prevent claims and improve employee engagement.
- Teaching, advising, and conducting workplace investigations.
- Providing anti-harassment training and coaching designed to create environments based on dignity, respect, and professionalism.
Education and Honors
J.D., University of Chicago, 1982
B.A., with honors, Indiana University, 1979
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Gold Medal winner, Independent Publisher Book Awards, Book Expo America May, 2009 - The Star Profile: A Management Tool to Unleash Employee Potential, (Davies-Black Publishing 2008)
- Library Journal recommended selection: Managing to Stay Out of Court: How to Avoid the 8 Deadly Sins of Mismanagement (SHRM and Berrett-Koehler Publishers 2005) - “an extraordinarily useful book that will benefit managers and workers.”
- Employment Lawyer of the Year, Utah State Bar (2005)
- Citizen Lawyer of the Year, J. Reuben Clark Law Society, Salt Lake Chapter (2006)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, (since 2002, Utah then Oregon)
- Best Lawyers in America (since 2003, Utah then Oregon)
- Mountain States Super Lawyers (2007)
- SHRM, Preferred Speaker List
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rating
- Legal 500: Labor and Employment - Workplace and Employment Counseling
- National Speakers Association (NSA)
- American Society of Training & Development (ASTD)
- Oregon Organization Development Network (ODN)
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- Management Labor & Employment Roundtable (MLER)
- Contributor to HR Magazine and SHRM Online
- Editor of the SHRM-Ogletree Deakins HR, Labor & Employment Law Book Series
- SHRM Annual Conference - "Take Your But Out of Your Apology-Apply the MIDAS Touch" - Las Vegas - July 1, 2015
- SHRM Annual Conference - "Conflict, Aikido & the HR Professional" - Las Vegas - June 29, 2015
- The Annual Labor & Employment Law Advanced Practices Symposium 2015 - "Tools For Tough HR-Management Conversations" - Las Vegas - April 10, 2015
- Willamette Valley Higher Education HR Association - "The 8 Deadly Sins of Mismanagement and the 8 Leadership Virtues" - Portland - March 13, 2015
- Ogletree Deakins Seminar - "4 Tools To Resolve Conflict Constructively" - Las Vegas - March 6, 2015
- 2015 Human Resources Law Update - "Leadership, Employee Engagement, and Business Results" - Greenville - March 3, 2015
- Portland General Electric - "The 8 Deadly Sins of Mismanagement & 8 Leadership Virtues" - Wilsonville - February 18, 2015
- Toyota Industrial Equipment Mfg. - "Leadership Skills Development" - Columbus - February 10, 2015 - February 12, 2015
- The Greater Los Angeles Chapter – Association of Legal Administrators - "Jerks at Work” & “5 Tools to Resolve Conflict Constructively" - Universal City - January 31, 2015
- Reed College - "The Constructive Confrontational Question" - Portland - January 15, 2015
- Zions Bank Employee Relations Summit II - "HR Skills Immersion" - Salt Lake City - November 19, 2014 - November 20, 2014
- Toyota Industrial Equipment Mfg. - "Leadership Skills Development" - Columbus - November 11, 2014 - November 13, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Seminar - "Leadership + Employee Engagement = Compelling Business Results" - Las Vegas - November 6, 2014
- Association of Legal Administrators HR Conference - "4 Tools to Resolve Conflict Constructively" - Las Vegas - November 4, 2014
- Association of Legal Administrators HR Conference - "The Leadership Approach to Improving Employee Engagement" - Las Vegas - November 3, 2014
In The News
- August 29, 2014 - - "Do's and Don'ts to Make Performance Reviews Actually Mean Something"
- January 3, 2014 - - "The Fired Elephant in the Room"
- December 10, 2013 - - "Accountability & The 'Quiet Herd Cutter'"
- November 18, 2013 - - "10 Tips For Worry-Free Performance Reviews"
- October 2013 - - "After They're Gone"
- May 16, 2013 - - "Permission to Speak Freely to the Boss"
- June 6, 2012 - - "Sarcastic E-mails Are The Stupidest"
- February 11, 2015 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "If You’re Serious About Your Strategic Plan . . . Don’t Make the “People” Mistake: Interview with Bob Briggs"
- January 29, 2015 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Martial Arts & Legal Ethics"
- January 14, 2015 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "A Commitment to Diversity in Practice Versus in Theory—Interview of Mel Jones, Skanska"
- January 4, 2015 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Delegation: Ask Permission, Beg Forgiveness, or Practice “Per-Giveness”?"
- October 27, 2014 - Business Management Daily - "Leadership & Employee Engagement - Case Study Lessons"
- October 22, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Laying a Foundation for Diversity & Inclusion: A Case Study"
- September 16, 2014 - Business Management Daily - "Making the Employee Engagement Commitment - The TIAA-CREF Experience"
- September 11, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Values First! An Interview with GlaxoSmithKline Senior Vice President, PD Villarreal"
- September 2, 2014 - Business Management Daily - "Maximizing Employee Engagement – Three Legs of the Stool"
- August 29, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Putting Oomph Into the HR Value Proposition: An Interview with Sheri Caldwell, Ph.D., SPHR"
- August 7, 2014 - Business Management Daily - "What is Employee Engagement"
- July 30, 2014 - Business Management Daily - "Engaged Employees = Compelling Business Results"
- June 24, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Workplace Lessons from the NFL—An Interview with Ogletree Deakins Shareholder and Former Offensive Lineman, John Gerak"
- June 7, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Aligning Goals, Resources, and People for Successful Change: An Interview With Tom Robertson, Ph.D."
- June 2, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Finding Your Organization’s Second Wind: An Interview with Consultant Kent Layden"