Jay C. Ruby
Jay Ruby has extensive experience representing employers in employment-based immigration matters. For more than 17 years, Mr. Ruby has provided immigration counsel and services to U.S. and multi-national corporations in many industry sectors including health care, computer/information technology, logistics, financial/ banking, motion picture, hospitality, manufacturing, construction and education.
Mr. Ruby has assisted employers and individuals in procuring B-1, E-1, E-2, L-1, H-1B, H-2B, H-3, J-1, Q-1 and TN temporary visas as well as permanent resident (green card) status. Mr. Ruby has also liaised with U.S. consulates/embassies abroad, assisting clients with the procurement of temporary and permanent visas. Mr. Ruby advises employers on state and federal immigration compliance issues related to Form I-9 requirements, E-verify and contractor/subcontractor usage.
Mr. Ruby has particular experience in representing health care, manufacturing, hospitality and construction clients seeking to obtain visas for groups of temporary/seasonal laborers. Mr. Ruby has lectured on immigration topics before trade associations, industry groups and employers. Mr. Ruby has been selected for inclusion in Chambers USA as a top immigration attorney every year since 2007.
Education and Honors
J.D., Louisiana State University, Paul M. Herbert School of Law, 1992
B.A., Indiana University, 1989
- Chambers USA (2007-2013)
- International Who's Who of Corporate Immigration Attorneys
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- Global Alliance of Hospitality Attorneys
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Georgia State Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Society of Human Resources Management, New Orleans Chapter - "The Immigration Compliance Dragnet" - New Orleans - February 16, 2011
- Laymen’s Lawyer Radio Show—AM 790 - "Immigration Law Compliance---What Employers Should Know" - Atlanta - November 19, 2010
- ISSA National Conference - "Immigration Law Compliance---What Employers Should Know" - Orlando - November 8, 2010
- Austin Association of Corporate Counsel - "Where Employment & Immigration Laws Collide" - Austin - October 19, 2010
- CHO - "Immigration Law Compliance---What Employers Should Know" - Phoenix - September 29, 2010
- American Immigration Lawyers Association Annual Conference - "H-2Bs: New Developments" - National Harbor - July 2, 2010
- American Hotel & Lodging Association Webinar - "DOL’s Plan, Prevent & Protect Initiative" - July 2010
- Carolinas AGC Annual HR Workshop - "Immigration Compliance: What Employers Need to Know" - Myrtle Beach - March 2010
- American Immigration Lawyers Association, Audio Conference - "H-2Bs: New Developments and How to Deal with Them" - February 2009
- Louisiana Association of Corporate Counsel - "Immigration Overview: Visas and Compliance" - New Orleans - November 7, 2008
- American Immigration Lawyers Association Annual Conference - "H-2B Temporary Visas for Essential Workers" - San Antonio - June 2006
In The News
- July 25, 2011 - - "Supreme Court Addresses Issues Related to Immigration and ERISA"
- June 30, 2011 - - "Costly Compliance: Immigration Law Adds New Concerns for Businesses"
- May 18, 2011 - - "Suits Expected for Immigration Law"
- December 7, 2010 - - "Foreign Tech Workers Fending Off Wage Cuts"
- November 11, 2010 - - "Lawmakers May Toughen State's Immigration Laws"
- June 25, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "High Court Strikes Down Key Sections of Arizona's Immigration Law"
- November 22, 2011 - SHRM.org - "11th Circuit: H-2A Employer Not Entitled to FLSA Wage Credits for Worker Housing Costs"
- August 21, 2011 - The HR Specialist: California Employment Law - "Supreme Court Upholds Arizona Immigration Law, Backs E-Verify"
- July 22, 2011 - BNA's Workplace Law Report - "U.S. Supreme Court's Landmark Decision in Chamber of Commerce v. Whiting Opens Door for States to Enact Immigration Enforcement Legislation"
- July 13, 2011 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "DOL Issues Proposed Rulemaking to Revise H-2B Program"
- July 2011 - Metropolitan Corporate Counsel's New Developments in Successful Partnering - "Immigration Chapter"
- June 2011 - ACC's Treatise - Successful Partnering Between Inside and Outside Counsel - "Corporate/Business Immigration"
- June 2011 - Business to Business Magazine - "What Georgia's Illegal Immigration Reform & Enforcement Act of 2011 Might Mean to Your Business"
- November 2010 - DOL’s October 2010 Notice of Proposed Rulemaking - "American Immigration Lawyers' Associations' Official Comments"
- November 2010 - Successful Partnering Between Inside and Outside Counsel - "Immigration Law"
- August 2010 - Arizona Restaurant Association - "H-2B Visa & DOL Initiative"
- June 2010 - Business to Business Journal - "$18 Million Mohawk Settlement—RICO Suits & Immigration Liability"
- May 2010 - Kurzban’s Immigration Law Sourcebook 13th Edition - "H-2A/H-2B Visas, edited subchapter"
- May 2010 - Executive Counsel magazine - "A New Immigration Enforcement Regime"
- January 2010 - Inside The Minds - "Employment and Immigration Law Compliance in a Heightened Enforcement Environment"