L. Gray Geddie, Jr.
Gray Geddie is one of the founding shareholders of the firm. He served as the firm’s Managing Shareholder from January 2001 through January 2010. Under his leadership, the firm experienced unprecedented growth in terms of geography, professionalism, and client service. Ogletree Deakins is now the third largest labor and employment law firm in the United States. Following his term as Managing Shareholder, Gray returned to his practice in the Greenville office.
He is a Fellow in the College of a Labor and Employment Lawyers and was honored as the 2011 Employment Lawyer of the Year for Greenville, South Carolina. Gray has been recognized by Best Lawyers in the fields of Employment and Labor Law, Commercial Litigation, Environmental Litigation, and Bet The Company Litigation. He is listed as a Tier 1 lawyer in the field of Labor and Employment Law by Chambers and is a Super Lawyer in the area of Employment Defense Litigation. Lastly, he is a Certified Specialist in Labor and Employment Law under standards approved by the South Carolina Supreme Court.
Gray is an experienced trial lawyer who has handled cases of various types for more than thirty years. Admitted to practice in South Carolina, and the District of Columbia, his jury trial experience has included labor and employment, products liability, patent and trade secret litigation, environmental law and commercial litigation.
He has represented clients in a wide variety of industries including chemicals, textiles, metal working, retail stores, food service, hospitality, communications, media services, and educational institutions. He is admitted to practice in South Carolina, the District of Columbia, the Courts of Appeal for the Second, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Eleventh, and District of Columbia Circuits.
Education and Honors
J.D., University of South Carolina School of Law, 1969
B.A., Furman University, 1966
- Best Lawyers in America (since the mid-1990’s - labor and employment, commercial litigation, and “bet the company” litigation)
- Best Lawyers Greenville Employment Law - Management Lawyer of the Year, 2012
- South Carolina Super Lawyer
- Fellow, College of Labor and Employment Lawyers (2006)
- Certified by the South Carolina Supreme Court as a Specialist in Labor and Employment Law
- South Carolina Bar
- Greenville Bar Association
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- South Carolina Law School Alumni Association (past President)
- Furman University (former Advisory Board member)
In The News
- July 12, 2011 - - "Q&A With Ogletree Deakins' Gray Geddie"