Leigh M. Nason
Leigh Nason is a shareholder in the Columbia, South Carolina office of Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak and Stewart, P.C., and chairs the firm’s Affirmative Action/OFCCP Compliance Practice Group. She currently devotes the majority of her practice to representing federal contractors and subcontractors in compliance evaluations and administrative enforcement actions triggered by the United States Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP).
Ms. Nason has counseled educational, construction, financial, food processing, healthcare and pharmaceutical, transportation, hospitality, manufacturing, and technology employers around the country on the preparation, management, and defense of their affirmative action programs and related matters, including jurisdictional analyses and preventative strategies.
Ms. Nason is routinely involved with investigating and resolving systemic discrimination issues stemming from statistical disparities in hiring, compensation, and testing and has extensive experience negotiating and defending allegations of back pay liability and other sanctions imposed by OFCCP. She has also advised employers on compensation analyses and audits, diversity and inclusion metrics and strategies, and EEO-1/VETS-reporting issues. Ms. Nason has litigated numerous discrimination claims before federal and state courts and administrative tribunals.
Ms. Nason has been included in The Best Lawyers in America for many years, is listed in Chambers USA as one of the country’s leading attorneys in the affirmative action compliance arena, has been designated as a South Carolina “Super Lawyer” and is AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell. She has authored and edited numerous publications in the affirmative action compliance area and others, including "Affirmative Action: Overview," Practical Law Company (2011), “Obligations of Government Contractors,” Labor and Employment Law for South Carolina Lawyers 401 (S.C. Bar 4th ed. 2011); and “Executive Order 11,246,” Understanding Employment Discrimination (LEXIS/NEXIS 2008). She is a frequent lecturer in the areas of affirmative action and employment discrimination and has presented nationally on diversity and compliance issues, including OFCCP’s internet applicant regulations and EEO-1 reporting requirements.
Ms. Nason is a graduate of Wake Forest University and the University of South Carolina School of Law, and is certified by the South Carolina Supreme Court as a specialist in the area of employment and labor law. She is a member of the South Carolina Industry Liaison Group and the Society for Human Resources Management.
Education and Honors
J.D., University of South Carolina School of Law, 1988
B.A., Wake Forest University, 1982
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Executive Editor, South Carolina Law Review
- Order of Wig and Robe
- South Carolina Super Lawyers (2008 to present)
- Chambers USA (2008 to present)
- Best Lawyers (1995 to present)
- South Carolina Supreme Court, Certified Specialist in Employment and Labor Law
- South Carolina Supreme Court, Employment and Labor Law Specialization Board (Chairperson, 2005-2007)
- South Carolina Industry Liaison Group
- Certified Green Belt in Legal Lean Sigma®
- Faculty Member - OFCCP Institute
- 2015 AZilg - "OFCCP's New Scheduling Letter: Are You Ready for All the New Data Requests?" - Phoenix - January 13, 2015
- American Association for Access, Equity and Diversity (AAAED) Webinar - "OFCCP Compliance Reviews - Metrics and Analysis" - December 10, 2014
- BLR® — Business & Legal Resources Webinar - "EEO-1 Reporting Deadline: HR's Step-by-Step Guide to Ensuring Compliance" - August 11, 2014
- 2014 ILG National Conference - "Practical ADA and FMLA Solutions & ADA Reasonable Accommodation" - Washington, D.C. - August 7, 2014
- 2014 ILG National Conference - "Equal Pay Enforcement: Minimizing the Risks" - Washington, D.C. - August 6, 2014
- NC/SC ILG 2014 Annual Conference - Panelist - "Leveraging OFCCP Compliance Resources and Solutions" - Columbia - June 10, 2014
- 2014 SWARM Regional ILG Conference - "Screening Practices Under Attack" - Denver - May 1, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Breakfast Briefing - "Affirmative Action and OFCCP Compliance Update: A Survey of the New Veterans and Disability Regulations for Federal Contractors" - Birmingham - February 27, 2014
- Federal Contractors & Section 503: Are you 'READI' & 'ABLE' to include disability? - "Measuring Up...The Numbers for 503" - Birmingham - February 26, 2014 - February 27, 2014
- University System of Georgia Human Resource Association and AA/EEO/Title IX Joint Fall Conference - "Adverse Impact - What Is It and Why Do I Care?" - Savannah - September 26, 2013
- Ogletree Deakins Webinar - "Hot Topics in OFCCP: Important Changes in the FCCM, Veterans Regulations, and Disability Regulations" - September 25, 2013
- Ogletree Deakins Lunch and Learn - "Affirmative Action and OFCCP Compliance Trends in 2013: What Every Federal Contractor or Subcontractor Should Know" - Dallas - September 12, 2013
- Ogletree Deakins Lunch and Learn - "Affirmative Action and OFCCP Compliance Trends in 2013: What Every Federal Contractor or Subcontractor Should Know" - San Antonio - September 5, 2013
- 2013 SAHRMA Employment Law Conference - "Who is OFCCP and Why Should I Care?" - San Antonio - September 4, 2013
- Midlands Technical College - "The OFCCP and Affirmative Action - What Every Federal Contractor Must Know and Do" - Columbia - August 8, 2013
In The News
- October 3, 2014 - - "Increased Access to Pay Data Will Boost OFCCP Enforcement"
- October 2, 2014 - - "Clearing Up Pay Transparency"
- September 30, 2014 - - "Burden of DOL Rules May Send Contractors Packing"
- August 6, 2014 - - "DOL Data Collection Push Fans Flames Of Contractor Concern"
- August 4, 2014 - - "Attorneys Offer Practice Advice, Expect Litigation Regarding New Contracting Order"
- July 31, 2014 - - "Obama's Labor Violation Order May Drive Contractors Away"
- July 18, 2014 - - "Employment Regs To Watch In The 2nd Half of 2014"
- May 29, 2014 - - "DOL Shifts Strategy In Contractor Pay Disparity Crackdown"
- April 8, 2014 - - "Devil In Details For Contractors In New Equal Pay Data Rule"
- April 7, 2014 - - "Obama to Bar Wage-Disclosure Retaliation, Direct DOL to Collect Contractor Pay Data"
- April 7, 2014 - - "Obama Set To Use Contractors As Test Cases On Equal Pay"
- March 21, 2014 - - "Judge Nixes Construction Association's Challenge to OFCCP's Disabilities Rules"
- March 26, 2013 - - "Casting a Wider Net"
- March 4, 2013 - - "OFCCP Nixes Pay Standards For More Open-Ended Approach"
- January 24, 2015 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "OFCCP Posts Two New FAQs on Veteran Self-Identification and the VETS-4212 Form"
- December 8, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "OFCCP Issues Final Rule Prohibiting Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Discrimination by Federal Contractors"
- November 3, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "OFCCP Self-ID and Equal Pay Tool Updates"
- October 7, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "OFCCP’s New Scheduling Letter and Expanded Itemized Listing"
- September 25, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "New VETS Report on the Horizon"
- August 25, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "OFCCP’s Newest Directive: Gender Identity and Sex Discrimination"
- August 6, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "OFCCP Proposes Rule to Collect Summary Compensation Data From Federal Contractors"
- August 1, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "The Arbitration Obligations Imposed by the Fair Pay and Safe Workplaces Executive Order"
- July 31, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "President Obama Issues Two Executive Orders in 10-Day Period"
- June 18, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Your Guide to the Proposed Rules Under Executive Order 13658 Setting a Minimum Wage for Federal Contractors"
- April 8, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Sex, Pay, and Retaliation: The White House Weighs In Again"
- March 24, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "DC Court Gives Go Ahead for New OFCCP Disability Regulations"
- January 30, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "OFCCP Flexes its Muscle with Threats of Term Debarment"
- January 24, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "OFCCP Disability Self-ID Form Approved"
- December 4, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "OFCCP Posts Referral Sources For Disabled Individuals And Protected Veterans"