Margaret Santen Hanrahan
Ms. Hanrahan counsels and represents clients across the country on a variety of labor and employment litigation matters. This commonly includes defending collective and class action lawsuits, including independent contractor misclassification actions under both federal and state law; conducting national wage/hour and wage/payment audits; conducting national audits of employment policies and practices for both federal and state law compliance; defending and investigating Title VII, FLSA, ADEA, FMLA, and ADA lawsuits and administrative charges; and drafting employment contracts, policies, and handbooks.
Ms. Hanrahan’s practice also focuses extensively on assisting clients with independent contractor issues, which often includes drafting independent contractor agreements, conducting routine audits to ensure compliance, helping to develop “best practices" for use of independent contractors, and representing companies in connection with independent contractor misclassification audits conducted by federal and state agencies, including the Department of Labor and the Internal Revenue Service.
Finally, Ms. Hanrahan assists and counsels companies on traditional labor relations matters, including union organizing efforts, unfair labor practice litigation, and maintaining positive employee relations.
- Successfully handled and served as first-chair counsel in five separate bench trials against the Georgia Department of Labor, obtaining complete reversal of class-based employee determination findings and dismissal of all class-based tax assessments in each proceeding on behalf of various home health, housecleaning, and construction industry clients;
- Successfully represented manufacturer in putative nationwide class action involving independent contractor misclassification;
- Currently lead counsel in nationwide putative class action involving independent contractor misclassification;
- Successfully represented nationwide distributor in putative FLSA collection action;
- Successfully represented trucking company in multiple unfair labor practice charges and assisted in keeping company union-free; and
- Successfully represented several companies in connection with national wage/hour audits by the federal and state Department of Labor.
Education and Honors
J.D., cum laude, University of South Carolina, 2004
B.A., with distinction, University of Virginia, 2000
- Rising Star, Georgia Super Lawyers, 2012, 2013, and 2014
- Order of Wig and Robe
- Order of Coif
- Recipient, ABA Real Property, Probate and Trust Journal Scholarship Award (2004)
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- Georgia Bar Association (Labor and Employment Law Section)
- Atlanta Bar Association
- North Fulton Bar Association
- Trinity Community Ministries (Board Member)
- Trinity Community Ministries (Human Resources Committee Chair)
- Volunteer for Pro Bono Partnership of Atlanta
- North Fulton-GEM SHRM Atlanta
- Ogletree Deakins Webinar - "Obama Administration's Initiatives to Update Overtime Regulations" - March 20, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Seminar - "How to Keep the EEOC Happy and Avoid Hiring and Ax Murderer: Best Practices for Background Checks" - Marietta - February 27, 2014
- Association of Corporate Counsel Georgia Chapter Luncheon - "Systemic Litigation and Enforcement Trends" - Atlanta - November 12, 2013
- Ogletree Deakins Seminar - "Anatomy of a DOL Audit" - Marietta - November 8, 2013
- Ogletree Deakins Webinar - "Independent Contractor Misclassification: Initiatives, Trends, International Considerations, and Key Preventative Measures" - June 5, 2013
- Ogletree Deakins Seminar - "Developments with the Georgia DOL" - Alpharetta - April 26, 2013
- Pro Bono Partnership of Atlanta - "Related Classification Issues Under the FLSA: Independent Contractor, Volunteer, Intern" - Atlanta - March 26, 2013
- SHRM Atlanta Conference - "Employee Data Theft: Guarding the Gates in a Virtual Age" - Atlanta - March 22, 2013
- Ogletree Deakins Briefing - "How to Prepare for a DOL Wage and Hour Audit" - Alpharetta - October 26, 2012
- Institute of Applied Management & Law, Inc. webinar - "Independent Contractor Misclassification: Avoiding Costly Mistakes" - Atlanta - August 1, 2012
- Atlanta Metro Payroll Association - "Independent Contractor Misclassification: Legislative Initiatives, Trends, and Key Preventative Measures" - Atlanta - May 17, 2012
- ACC Georgia Chapter Luncheon - "Independent Contractor Misclassification: Initiatives, Trends, and Key Preventative Measures" - Atlanta - April 10, 2012
- Ogletree Deakins Briefing - "Independent Contractor Misclassification Initiatives" - Atlanta - March 28, 2012
- SHRM Atlanta Chapter - "Employee Data Theft: Guarding Gates in a Virtual Age" - Atlanta - March 14, 2012
- Ogletree Deakins Seminar - "Employee Data Theft: Guarding the Gates in a Virtual Age" - Atlanta - September 29, 2011
In The News
- October 9, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Misclassification Initiatives Spread as Alabama Signs Formal Pact with DOL"
- March 13, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Who Will Be Entitled to Overtime Under Obama’s Expected Rule Change?"