Martin C. Brook
Martin Brook focuses his practice on representation of employers before state and federal courts and administrative agencies and advising employers on litigation avoidance and positive employee relations. Additionally, Martin’s practice regularly involves representing and advising employers regarding payroll compliance issues which include, for example, wage garnishments, voluntary wage assignments, other wage attachments as well as electronic pay and tax protestors issues.
Martin has developed business-minded solutions for complex employment challenges with the aim of risk management and litigation avoidance. He developed, implemented and/or managed various labor relations programs and human resources programs. This includes voluntary and involuntary reduction-in-force programs, employment-related due diligence, contract negotiations and grievance administration, responses to multiple union organizing campaigns, internal wage and hour audits, user and provider co-employment and independent contractor issues, OFCCP compliance programs and audit responses, in-bound and out-bound restrictive covenant matters, payroll and attachment/garnishment compliance programs and employment policies and procedures and training programs.
Martin has extensive litigation/arbitration experience defending employers in discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wage and hour and WARN Act matters. He has also successfully defended and enforced non-compete agreements. Martin has also been first and second chair in numerous labor negotiations and labor arbitrations.
Martin has worked six years as Corporate Counsel to a large office furniture manufacturer and a large staffing company responsible for employment and benefits law.
Law is Martin’s second career. During his first career, Martin worked as a Human Resources professional in the chemical and automotive industries at the plant level in both the United States and Canada. During this time he was responsible for union and employee relations, college recruiting programs, OFCCP compliance, and safety programs.
Education and Honors
J.D., cum laude, University of Michigan, 1996
Masters of Labor and Industrial Relations, Michigan State University, 1988
B.A. Michigan State University, 1987
- Citation of Merit, American Payroll Association (May 2012 & 2013)
- Best Lawyers in America
- State Bar of Michigan
- Trustee - Alumni Board of Directors - School of Labor and Industrial Relations 2006 to 2011 - Michigan State University
- Trustee - Bloomfield Hills Schools Board of Education 2005-2011 (served one term as President and two terms as Vice President of the Board)
- American Payroll Association (Governmental Affairs Subcommittee on Creditor Garnishments)
- Author, O-D Comply Products
- American Payroll Conference Michigan Statewide Conference - "Garnishment Compliance for the Multi-State Employer: From the Simple to the Sublime" - Grand Rapids - October 24, 2013
- American Payroll Conference Ohio Statewide Conference - "Technology - Payroll & Law" - Columbus - October 17, 2013
- American Payroll Association - "Garnishment Compliance for the Multi-State Employer" - Toledo - May 16, 2013
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "I Want a Piece of Your Paycheck: Garnishment Compliance for The Multi-State Employer" - New Orleans - May 10, 2013
- Ogletree Deakins Breakfast Briefing - "Hiring Again? Watch for Risks From Restrictive Covenants" - Birmingham - April 11, 2013
- Ogletree Deakins Breakfast Briefing - "Pure Michigan - Exploring Our Unique Employment Law Landscape" - Birmingham - April 19, 2012
- Ogletree Deakins Breakfast Briefing - "Preventive Strategies to Enhance Wage and Hour Compliance" - Troy - April 7, 2011
- Ogletree Deakins Breakfast Briefing - "Writs for Garnishments In Michigan" - Birmingham - October 14, 2010
- Ogletree Deakins Breakfast Briefing - "The US Supreme Court and You" - Troy - October 22, 2009
- Ogletree Deakins Breakfast Briefing - "Top 10 Things That Will Get You Sued in 2009" - Troy - November 18, 2008
In The News
- March 4, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Michigan Employers May Soon Obtain Relief From Oppressive And Risky Wage Garnishments"
- February 13, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Tips for Garnishee Employers, Part Two: A Light at the End of the Tunnel? Relief From Your Woes May Be in Sight"
- February 2014 - PAYTECH - The Official Publication of the American Payroll Association - "'Order for Voluntary Wage Assignment' What an Oxymoron"
- January 16, 2014 - SHRM.org - "The Perils of Ignoring Wage Garnishment Orders"
- January 10, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Tips for Garnishee Employers, Part One: The Perils of Ignoring Garnishment Orders"
- November 4, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Know Wage Garnishment Law or Else!"
- July 2013 - PAYTECH - The Official Publication of the American Payroll Association - "Enhance Your Company's FLSA Compliance"
- April 2013 - PAYTECH - The Official Publication of the American Payroll Association - "Garnishments: Know Your Risks as an Employer"
- March 2013 - PAYTECH - The Official Publication of the American Payroll Association - "E-Verify Reach, Regulations Continue to Expand"
- April 2012 - PAYTECH - The Official Publication of the American Payroll Association - "Corporate Garnishees And The Unauthorized Practice Of Law"
- February 2012 - PAYTECH - The Official Publication of the American Payroll Association - "USERRA's Uniqueness - Provides Extra Protection for Uniformed Service Members"
- October 13, 2011 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "Fifteen Minutes of Fame For the Wage Garnishment "
- July 2011 - Michigan Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE) - "Assist An Employer With Administering A Garnishment"
- Summer 2011 - The Michigan Business Law Journal - "Garnishments: The Growing Menace For Michigan Employers"
- January 12, 2011 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "Michigan Electronic Pay Amendment Takes Effect"