Matthew J. Kelley
Matthew (“Matt”) Kelley received his J.D. from the Indiana University-Bloomington School of Law in 2008. While attending Indiana University-Bloomington Mr. Kelley served as the Executive Notes Editor of the Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies and competed in the Phillip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition.
Originally from Kingston, Pennsylvania, Matt earned an undergraduate degree from Towson University, while garnering academic all-conference honors as a collegiate golfer. Matt also holds a master’s degree in Russian Studies from Indiana University-Bloomington. Matt spends his spare time reading, riding motorcycles and playing in competitive golf tournaments across Indiana.
Matt currently handles a wide-array of employment and labor law issues, while specializing in the area of traditional labor law, working with employers on a variety of traditional labor issues.
Matt is actively engaged in complex Title VII litigation as well as worker’s compensation and unemployment compensation disputes for clients ranging from large, multi-site healthcare providers to small franchisees in the food service industry. He has also worked closely with clients with industry specific challenges in the traditional labor context, including automotive industry clients, small manufacturing facilities and entertainment industry clients. Matt has worked on matters including positive employee relations issues, union elections campaigns, unfair labor practices, arbitrations, unit clarifications and other traditional labor issues.
Education and Honors
J.D., cum laude, Indiana University-Bloomington School of Law, 2008
M.A., Russian and East European Studies, Indiana University-Bloomington, 2004
B.A., summa cum laude, Towson University, 2001
- Indiana Super Lawyer Rising Star (2014)
- Indiana Bar Association
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Licensed Family Mediator - Indiana
- Indiana Chamber of Commerce - "FMLA Update" - Indianapolis - December 9, 2010
- Blue River Society of Human Resource Managers - "From the Mollies to Norma Rae: Are Unions Making a Comeback?" - Indianapolis - June 16, 2010
- Indiana Chamber of Commerce Safety Expo - "Workers' Compensation: Employer and Employee Rights and Responsibilities" - Indianapolis - March 3, 2010
In The News
- June 6, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Employers Involved in Union Campaigns Must Remain Vigilant to Avoid Rerun Elections"
- May/June 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "The Employment Law Authority"
- January 24, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Indiana’s Right-to-Work Statute Survives First Challenge While Court Clarifies Statutory Ambiguities"
- 2010 - HR Specialist - "FMLA Compliance Guide"
- 2009 - ABA - "2009 Supplement to the Family and Medical Leave Act "