Matthew S. Effland
Licensed in Indiana, California, and Florida, Matt represents clients in all areas and at all levels of employment and commercial litigation, including before state and federal agencies, at the trial-court level, and on appeal. Additionally, Matt provides corporate training and counseling on employment issues in both the private and public sector in many of the more complex areas of employment law, including employee leave, workplace privacy, and coordinated HR practices.
Matt speaks at numerous seminars on a variety of labor, employment, and commercial law topics across the country. He is a regular speaker at the Society of Human Resource Management’s Annual Convention, where he has presented on a variety of topics including Workplace Privacy, Proper Hiring Techniques, Combating Fraud under the FMLA, Rebuilding a Workforce Post-Recession, and Effective Employee Evaluations. In addition, Mr. Effland provides training for the National Association of Corporate Counsel, Association of Corporate Counsel of Southern California and Indiana, State and Local Chambers of Commerce, the National Institute of Business Management, Manpower, Inc., and several state and local SHRM affiliates.
- Defended large hospital before the Indiana Supreme Court on issues of first impression involving a doctor’s contractual claims
- Successfully defended summary judgment before federal appellate court on right of manufacturing company to combat suspected FMLA abuse via surveillance
- Defended health care company’s reduction-in-force decisions before federal appeals court in age discrimination claim
- Succeeded in securing dismissal and positive judgment for large telecommunication company on state wage & hour claim
- Argued issues of first impression before California Appellate Court on tension between state and federal disability laws
Education and Honors
J.D., cum laude, Texas Tech School of Law, 1999
B.S.S., Economics/Business and History, Cornell College, 1995
- Rising Star Award by Super Lawyers (2009-2012)
- American Bar Association
- Association of Corporate Counsel - Southern California
- SHRM Annual Conference - "When Harry Sued Sally - The Rise of Non-Traditional Discrimination and Harassment Claims" - Atlanta - 2012
- SHRM Annual Conference - "FMLA in the Real World" - Atlanta - 2012
- Ogletree Deakins webinar - "Administrating Leave Issues (National & California)" - 2011
- ACCA-SoCal - "Electronic Privacy and the Monitoring of Employees" - Woodland Hills and Westlake - 2011
- SHRM Annual Conference - "FMLA in the Real World" - Las Vegas - 2011
- Wabash Valley Human Resources Association - "Confronting an EEOC Investigation" - Terre Haute - February 2010
- SHRM Annual Conference - "The Tide Rolls Back In – Rebuilding your Workforce Post-Recession" - San Diego - 2010
- SHRM Annual Conference - "FMLA in the Trenches" - San Diego - 2010
- Ogletree Deakins webinar series - "Rebuilding Your Workforce Post-Recession" - 2010
- Association of Corporate Counsel - "Electronic Discovery Issues" - Los Angeles - 2010
- Association of Corporate Counsel - "Legal Updates and Expectations in Employment Law" - Indianapolis - 2010
- Indianapolis Chamber of Commerce Annual Conference - "Top Ten Mistakes Employers Make and How to Avoid Them" - Indianapolis - May 2009
- SHRM Annual Conference - "When Johnny’s Family Goes Marching Off – Military Family Leave under the FMLA" - New Orleans - 2009
- SHRM Annual Conference - "To Hire or Not To Hire – That is the Legal Question" - New Orleans - 2009
- SHRM Annual Conference - "ADA & FMLA – Taming the 2-Headed Beast" - Chicago - 2008
In The News
- May 10, 2013 - - "5 Tips for Managing Employee Leave Requests"
- December 10, 2012 - - "Employers Beware When Testing Job Applicants"
- November 30, 2012 - - "5 Questions Employers Shouldn't Ask Job Applicants"
- July 1, 2012 - - "Workplace harassment cases in nontraditional areas on the rise"
- September 2010 - - "Take Steps to Reduce Legal Risks when Hiring after Layoffs"
- July 2, 2010 - - "Attorneys Cast Doubt on New FMLA Reading"
- July 2010 - - "A Leave Law That Just Won't Go Away"
- July 2010 - - "Attorneys Cast Doubt on New FMLA Reading"
- July 2010 - - "Rebuilding Your Workforce"
- June 2010 - - "Risks of the Recovery"
- June 2010 - - "SHRM Preview 2010"
- November 2009 - - "Avoid Common Myths when Coordinating FMLA and STD Leave"
- October 2009 - - "FMLA Amendments Sent to President"
- July 1, 2009 - - "Compassion Bolstered, and Required, Through FMLA Changes"
- February 9, 2009 - - "Web-Based Screening May Lead to Bias Suits"
- December 2009 - BizVoice Magazine - "Labor's Wishlist"
- 2009 - HR Advisor - "FMLA Compliance Guide"
- 2009 - Indiana Chamber of Commerce - "Indiana Employer’s Guide to FMLA (2nd Ed)"
- 2009 - Indiana Chamber of Commerce - "Indiana Employer’s Guide to Leave Issues"
- 2006 - Indiana Chamber of Commerce - "Indiana Employer’s Guide to FMLA (1st Ed)"
- 2004 - Indiana Chamber of Commerce - "Indiana Employer’s Guide to ADA and FMLA"
- 2004 - The Practitioner’s Guide to Defense of EPL Claims - "Investigating EPLI-Covered Claims, co-author"