Monique Gougisha Doucette
Ms. Doucette joined Ogletree Deakins in 2009. She practices primarily in the area of employment litigation and represents management in claims arising under Title VII, ADA, FMLA, ADEA, as well as other federal and state employment laws. She also regularly represents employers in various state and federal administrative proceedings. Ms. Doucette has significant experience with litigating employment matters in a variety of business sectors such as construction, insurance, banking, hospitality, education, health care and manufacturing.
Ms. Doucette is a frequent speaker on various employment law topics and contributing author to publications such as the Louisiana Bar Journal and HR Magazine. She is also an avid supporter of the local arts and education in New Orleans by serving on the board of directors for the New Orleans Ballet Association and the Arts Council of New Orleans, and volunteering as a mentor at several Orleans Parish high schools. She is a member of the A.P. Tureaud Chapter of the American Inns of Court and serves as a co-chair on the ABA Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee's Diversity Initiative Task Force.
Ms. Doucette has obtained summary judgments or dismissals on behalf of clients in a variety of cases and successfully defended those decisions in the appellate courts. Some of her successful summary judgments or dismissals include:
- Successfully obtaining dismissal of an ADEA and ADA claim filed against a national insurance company
- Obtaining summary judgment dismissal of sexual harassment and hostile work environment claims on behalf of a large freight and shipping corporation, with the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals affirming summary judgment for the defendant
- Obtaining summary judgment dismissal of a pregnancy discrimination claim on behalf of one of the largest banks in world
- Successfully defending and dismissing a race discrimination and retaliation claim against one of Louisiana's largest construction companies
Education and Honors
J.D., Tulane University School of Law, 2002
B.A., Political Science, Loyola University, 1999
- Recipient, Loyola University New Orleans John G. Arnold Cardinal Key Commencement Award for Outstanding Female Graduate
- Semi-finalist, Robert F. Wagner National Labor & Employment Law Moot Court Competition
- Senior Justice, Tulane Moot Court Board
- Honoree, New Orleans CityBusiness, 2011 Women of the Year
- Fellow, 2012 Leadership Council for Legal Diversity
- National Bar Association (Labor and Employment Section)
- American Bar Association (Management Liaison, Equal Opportunity in the Legal Profession committee, Labor & Employment Law Section; Employment Rights & Responsibilities committee, Labor & Employment Law Section)
- American Inns of Court (New Orleans, A.P. Tureaud Chapter)
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association
- National Employment Law Council
- Florida Bar Labor and Employment Law Section, Advanced Labor Topics 2014 - "Workplace Bullying as an Emerging Claim" - New Orleans - May 17, 2014
- American Bar Association CLE Young Lawyers Division webinar (Panelist) - "Workplace Bullying: An Examination Under the NLRA and OSHA" - March 11, 2014
- Panelist, National Bar Association 17th Annual Corporate Counsel Conference - "Business and Legal Risks Surrounding Social Media – Unblurring the Lines" - Austin - February 2014
- American Bar Association CLE Specialty Program webinar (Panelist) - "FLSA and the Unpaid Intern: To Pay or Not to Pay?" - June 12, 2013
- National Employment Law Council (NELC) Annual Conference - "Workplace Investigations: Human Resources and Compliance on Trial" - Houston - April 2013
- American Bar Association, Employment Rights & Responsibilities Committee Mid-Winter Meeting (Panelist) - "To Pay or Not to Pay: Unpaid Interns and the FLSA" - Miami - March 2013
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section Annual Meeting (Moderator/Panelist) - "Harassment By Any Other Name Would Cost as Dear " - Atlanta - November 2012
- American Bar Association, Employment Rights & Responsibilities Committee Mid-Winter Meeting (Panelist) - "Hit Me: The New Whistleblower Laws" - Las Vegas - March 2012
- National Bar Association 25th Annual Corporate Counsel Conference (Panelist) - "The Social Media Revolution" - Miami - February 2012
- Association of Corporate Counsel, Louisiana Chapter Annual CLE Luncheon - "Whistleblower and Retaliation Update" - New Orleans - December 2011
- Association of Corporate Counsel, Louisiana Chapter CLE Seminar - "Regulatory Review – A Look at the Current Initiatives of Federal Agencies with Respect to the Workplace" - New Orleans - October 2011
- National Bar Association 86th Annual Convention (Moderator/Panelist) - "Jeopardy in the Workplace" - Baltimore - August 2011
- American Bar Association, Employment Rights & Responsibilities Committee Mid-Winter Meeting (Panelist) - "From the Rain Forest to Rain Making" - San Juan - March 2011
- Association of Corporate Counsel – Louisiana Fall Chapter CLE Luncheon - "Social Networking Sites: Treasure Trove or Liability Trap" - New Orleans - December 3, 2010
- National Bar Association’s 85th Annual Conference - "Jeopardy in the Workplace" - New Orleans - August 11, 2010
In The News
- November 14, 2013 - - "Strategic Perspectives - ABA Panel Tackles the Tough Issue of Workplace Bullying"
- March 28, 2013 - - "Unpaid Internships Herald Legal Implications Under FLSA, Recent Case Law, Speakers Say"
- August 1, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Diversity in the Legal Profession: Practical Challenges and Every Attorney’s Role in a Successful Outcome"
- July 15, 2013 - SHRM.org - "Volunteer Firefighter Not 'Employee' Under Title VII"
- March 27, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "Louisiana eAuthority"
- 2011 - BNA Books (contributing author) - "Employment At Will: A State-by-State Survey"
- March 2010 - ABA Employment Rights & Responsibilities Committee, Diversity Outreach Task Force - "Strategies for Meeting Diversity Goals in the Legal Profession: Practical and Legal Challenges Faced by Employers Tackling Affirmative Action and Diversity Issues"
- April 2007 - HR Magazine - "Family Responsibility Discrimination: Forcing Employers to Reconsider the Traditional Notion of the ‘Ideal’ Employee"
- August/September 2005 - Louisiana Bar Journal - "Opening New Doors, Blazing New Trails: Diversity Initiatives of Invitation-Only Organizations"
- October/November 2004 - Louisiana Bar Journal - "Recent Developments in Labor/Employment Law"
- 2004 - American Bar Association - 4th ed. (contributing editor) - "The Developing Labor Law - 2004 Cumulative Supplement"