Nonnie L. Shivers
Nonnie advises, counsels and represents private and public employers in all aspects of employment law, in particular defending employers against allegations of discrimination, sexual harassment and wrongful termination in state and federal court, as well as administrative forums. Nonnie also regularly provides advice and guidance to employers on reductions in force, disability issues and pre-litigation disciplinary matters. Nonnie has conducted numerous complex and high-level internal investigations for clients and assists in identifying and resolving potential areas of liability and exposure in a proactive way.
Nonnie regularly speaks and trains on current and emerging employment law topics, including recent presentations to industry and trade groups on the pitfalls of social networking, avoidance of retaliation claims and gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender workplace issues. Nonnie’s advanced degree in education and years of experience as an instructor and student affairs professional at Arizona State University help make her training sessions and presentations one-of-a-kind. Nonnie was named a Rising Star by Southwest Super Lawyers in 2012, 2013 and 2014.
Nonnie has published several scholarly articles focused on employment law, including a book chapter on the impact of reasonable workplace accommodations for employees with disabilities on employers and employees’ expectations of privacy outside the workplace. Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Shivers served as a law clerk to the Honorable Patricia K. Norris on the Arizona Court of Appeals.
Nonnie’s clients run the gamut from large, international companies to flourishing local businesses. Her personal clients include a Fortune 100 air carrier, several regional and local law firms, title agencies, in-home care providers, physician practice groups, and surgical centers. Nonnie also devotes a large portion of her litigation practice to representing a regional non-profit health care provider and a major regional utility company.
Nonnie’s practice focuses on litigation, but clients also seek her out to resolve problems before litigation ensues and to prevent litigation by acting proactively. Nonnie’s litigation successes include:
- Obtaining complete summary judgment in a multi-plaintiff age discrimination case filed in federal court on behalf of an international technology company
- Obtaining complete summary judgment for a retail company in a wrongful termination case in which the company allegedly blackballed and defamed a former employee
- Winning a total defense judgment and an award of all attorneys’ fees incurred after a multi-day arbitration for a national bank in a wrongful termination case
Education and Honors
J.D., University of Arizona, 2004
M.Ed., Arizona State University, 1998
B.A., Kansas State University, 1996
- Southwest Super Lawyers Rising Star (2012, 2013 & 2014)
- Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent
- American Bar Association (Business Law Section)
- Federal Bar Association
- Arizona State Bar (Labor & Employment Section; Member & Chair - Continuing Legal Education Committee (2009-2013); Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Task Force Member (2011)
- Instructor, Arizona State Bar Professionalism Course (2009-present)
- Member, City of Avondale Judicial Advisory Board (2014)
- Member, Board of Legal Specialization (June 2014-present)
- Ogletree Deakins Webinar - "Out at Work, Equal at Work: What Employers Should Know about LGBT Issues and the Law" - October 23, 2014
- Managing a Workforce in 2015 - "Whose Employees are they Anyway? Perils, Pitfalls, and Pointers on Contingent and Temporary Workers" - Scottsdale - October 3, 2014
- Managing a Workforce in 2015 - "The Devil’s In The Details: Everything You Didn’t Know You Didn’t Know About Employment Law" - Scottsdale - October 3, 2014
- Managing a Workforce in 2014 - "The Impact of Windsor and Hobby Lobby on Employers" - Denver - September 26, 2014
- Human Rights Campaign and One Community - "LGBT Workplace Inclusion Conference Panelist" - Tempe - September 15, 2014
- Association of Corporate Counsel (Arizona Chapter) CLE Program - "Out and Equal at Work: LGBT Workplace Issues" - Phoenix - September 4, 2014
- State Bar of Arizona Continuing Legal Education Program - "Expanding Protections for LGBT Employees: The Impact of Executive Order 13672" - Phoenix - August 13, 2014
- Arizona Fire District Association Annual Conference - "Ripped from the Headlines! Crisis Avoidance and Management" - Tucson - June 28, 2014
- Maricopa County Bar Association Continuing Legal Education Seminar - "Employment Law Concerns When Lawyers or Staff Have Substance, Alcohol, or Mental Health Concerns" - Phoenix - June 24, 2014
- State Bar of Arizona 2014 Convention - "Top 5 Lessons for Employment Attorneys on LGBT Workplace Issues" - Tucson - June 13, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "Crisis & Scandal - What Companies Can Learn From Today's Headlines" - Las Vegas - May 7, 2014 - May 9, 2014
- Managing a Workforce in 2014 - "Out and Equal at Work: What Every Employer Needs to Know About LGBT Issues" - Tucson - April 10, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Managing a Workforce 2014 - "Caregiver Responsibility Discrimination - Are You One Sick Child Away from Losing Your Job?" - Las Vegas - February 28, 2014
- AZSHRM Employment Law and Legislative Conference - "The Devil's In the Details: Everything You Didn't Know About Unemployment Compensation Changes, Garnishments, Subpoenas for Information and Other Necessary Nitty Gritty Details" - Phoenix - February 26, 2014
- Arizona School Personnel Administrators Association 2013 Conference - "LGBT Employment Issues in Education" - Prescott - November 21, 2013
In The News
- October 8, 2014 - - "Wednesday Round-Up"
- October 6, 2014 - - "Lawyers Weigh In On High Court's Same-Sex Marriage Silence"
- September 5, 2014 - - " Posner’s Takedown Of Gay Marriage Bans May Sway Peers"
- August 28, 2014 - - "5 Tips for a Transgender-Friendly Workplace"
- June 16, 2014 - - "Obama LGBT Order May Spur Employers to Revamp Policies"
- April 2, 2014 - - "Pet-Related Leave Is Mostly Granted Ad Hoc"
- February 3, 2014 - - "Wage and Hour Division Eyes FMLA Definition of 'Spouse'"
- November 8, 2013 - - "ENDA's Game: Controversial Employment Law Passes in the Senate"
- November 7, 2013 - - "ENDA Likely To Run Aground In The House"
- July 2, 2013 - - "DOMA Ruling Will Change FMLA Administration"
- June 26, 2013 - - "Major Victories For Same-Sex Marriage"
- June 26, 2013 - - "Supreme Court's Same-Sex Marriage Rulings Could Have Far-Reaching Business and Legal Impacts"
- June 26, 2013 - - "Big Law Attys Praise High Court's Gay Marriage Rulings"
- Winter 2014 - Arizona Business Magazine - "All Atwitter about Social Media: New Guidance Issued for Financial Institutions"
- October 29, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "Arizona Minimum Wage to Increase on January 1, 2015"
- October 7, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Supreme Court Passively Clears the Way for Same-Sex Marriage"
- June 23, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "DOL’s Proposed Rule Redefines FMLA’s Definition of “Spouse” to Recognize “Place of Celebration”"
- February 28, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "Tempe City Council Broadens Anti-Discrimination Ordinance to Encompass Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered Individuals"
- November 8, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Should Who You Love Be A Terminable Offense? Senate Says “No” And Passes ENDA"
- September 17, 2013 - AZ Business Magazine - "The Impact of the Supreme Court's Windsor Ruling"
- August 18, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "FMLA Policy Changes Employers Should Make in Light of Windsor and the DOL’s New Guidance"
- July 8, 2013 - The Record Reporter - "Defense of Marriage Act Decision Impacting More Than 1,000 Federal Laws"
- February 28, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "Phoenix City Council Votes in Favor of Expansion of Anti-Discrimination Ordinance to Include Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered Residents"
- May 24, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "Ninth Circuit Holds Medical Marijuana Use Not Protected Under the ADA"
- May 24, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "Arizona eAuthority"
- 2007 - The In-house Counsel's Essential Toolkit - "Employment Law, Contributing Author and Editor"
- 2005 - Perspectives on Disability Research and Policy: Issues and Trends - "Making the Case for Meaningful Reasonable Accommodations for Employees With Physical Disabilities: A Legal Analysis of Part-time and Flexible Work Schedules Under the Americans With Disabilities Act"
- 2004 - 21 Ariz. J. Int'l. & Comp. L. 621 - "Firing “Immoral” Public Employees: If Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights Protect Employee Privacy Rights, Why Can't We?"