Penny C. Wofford
Penny Wofford is a South Carolina Supreme Court Certified Specialist in Employment and Labor Law. She concentrates her practice in the area of employment litigation and employee benefits. She advises and defends employers, employer-sponsored plans, and plan fiduciaries against all types of claims under ERISA and employment discrimination laws. Penny not only provides proactive counseling and legal advice to employers and management regarding human resources issues but also assists employers with the design, drafting, and administration of welfare benefit plans. Penny is a frequent speaker on employee benefits and employee leave topics and regularly provides company and supervisor training on employment discrimination, documentation and confidentiality.
During law school, Penny served as a member of the University of South Carolina Law Review from 1996 until 1998.
- Defended a national hosiery company against a former executive employee claim under a phantom equity appreciation plan
- Won summary judgment in a reverse-race discrimination and retaliation claim for a national home improvement retail company
- Assisted a number of employers with Department of Labor health plan audits
- Won trial in ERISA case for a welfare plan sponsored by a national transportation company
Education and Honors
J.D., University of South Carolina, 1998
B.A., magna cum laude, University of South Carolina, 1994
- South Carolina Super Lawyers
- Super Lawyers - Corporate Counsel Edition
- AV Preeminent Peer Review by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America (2013-2015)
- American Bar Association (Employee Benefits Committee, Labor and Employment Section)
- Greenville Society of Human Resource Management (Past President)
- SHRM 2014 Employment Law and Legislative Conference - "Health Care Reform Strategies for 2014" - Washington, D.C. - March 17, 2014
- ACC Annual Meeting - "Affordable Care Act: Healthcare Reform Strategy for Employers' In-House Counsel" - Los Angeles - October 28, 2013
- SHRM 2012 Annual Conference - "Managing Leaves of Absence" - Atlanta - June 27, 2012
- SHRM 2012 Annual Conference - "To 2014 and Beyond! Considerations for Full Implementation of Health Care Reform" - Atlanta - June 26, 2012
- SHRM Annual Conference - "Preparing A Strategy For The Next Phase Of Healthcare Reform" - Las Vegas - June 27, 2011
In The News
- March 17, 2014 - - "Undertake Health Care Reform Strategies Now"
- November 4, 2013 - - "GCs Sweat Implementation of Insurance Mandate"
- October 29, 2013 - - "Potholes and Tolls on the Road to Obamacare Compliance"
- January 17, 2013 - - "A Health Scare for Small Businesses"
- January 17, 2013 - - "Insurance Rule Will Go By Size Of 2013 Staff"
- June 29, 2012 - - "Health-care reform stands: What’s next for employers?"
- June 28, 2012 - - "So, You Don't Provide Health Care. What'll That Cost You?"
- June 28, 2011 - - "Next Phase PPACA Compliance Will Require Planning and Step-By-Step Implementation"
- November/December 2009 - Counsel to Counsel - "As Washington Debates Health Care, Employers Must Make Choices"