Robert A. Jones
Robert (“Bob”) Jones is the former California State Deputy Secretary, Special Counsel for the Labor and Workforce Development Agency, (California Department of Labor) appointed by the Governor in June 2008. As such, he was responsible for the enforcement activities of all the Divisions of the Agency, including the operation of the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (Labor Commissioner), Division of Safety & Health (Cal/OSHA), and the State’s Economic and Employment Enforcement Coalition.
Prior to his appointment, Bob was the Deputy Secretary of Policy and Enforcement. He was also the Chief Counsel for the Labor Commissioner and Acting California State Labor Commissioner from 2005 to 2007, all under the Schwarzenegger administration. As Acting Labor Commissioner, he was responsible for enforcing the state’s labor laws governing working conditions, minimum wage and overtime.
Bob’s background includes over 25 years of employment litigation and dispute resolution experience before state and federal courts throughout the United States and eight years as a professional labor negotiator.
Bob is the Chair of the firm's California Wage and Hour Practice Group, Co-Chair of the National Wage and Hour Practice Group, and a member of the firm's Class Action Steering Committee.
Bob advises and represents employers in all areas of labor, employment, and legislative matters, with particular emphasis on employers doing business in California. Bob’s practice includes expert testimony and consulting on state wage and hour enforcement issues. Bob also provides alternative dispute resolution services as a private mediator in employment matters. He is a frequent presenter on employment-related topics.
In addition to regularly providing advice on California related wage and hour issues to national and local clients of Ogletree Deakins, Bob is actively engaged in the litigation of cutting edge employment law issues before the federal and state courts, including major wage and hour class action cases.
Bob’s experience as a highly placed Labor Department official for the State of California provides the Firm’s clients with access to his unique perspective on not only California employment law enforcement, but also on the legislative and political process involved.
As a past Lecturer for the University of Maryland and frequent presenter for the California Labor and Workforce Development Agency, Bob regularly provides presentations to Ogletree Deakins clients and other interested groups on all aspects of California wage and hour issues.
Education and Honors
J.D., McGeorge School of Law, 1982
M.B.A., California State University, Humboldt, 1973
B.A., Humboldt State College, 1970
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Legal 500: Labor and Employment - Labor & Employment Litigation
- California State Bar Association (Labor and Employment Law Section)
- Nevada State Bar Association (Labor and Employment Law Section)
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- Association of Attendees and Alumni of the Hague Academy of International Law
- Former Commissioner, California Commission on the Status of Women
- Former Lecturer, University of Maryland, European Division, Labor and Business Management
- Ogletree Deakins Corporate Labor and Employment Counsel; Exclusive - "Modernizing the 'White Collar' Overtime Regulations: Back to the Future" - Dana Point - September 19, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "Surf's Up! Riding the Next Wave of California Employment Litigation" - Las Vegas - May 8, 2014 - May 9, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Navigating California Employment Law Seminar 2nd Annual Conference - "What's New in California Employment Law? Plenty!" - Napa - March 27, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins National Webinar - "Overtime DOL Proposal" - San Fransisco - March 20, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins National Webinar - "Obama Executive Order" - San Fransisco - March 19, 2014
- Los Angeles Bar Association - "Policing the Workplace - Advanced Seminar on PAGA Actions and Retaliation Claims" - Los Angeles - January 25, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins California Seminar: Managing a Workforce in 2014 - "Top 10 Do's and Don'ts When Dealing with Cal/OSHA" - Orange County, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Diego - October 15, 2013 - October 24, 2013
- BASF CLE Seminar - The Labor and Employment Section of the Barristers Club - "The Private Attorneys General Act (PAGA)" - San Francisco - August 12, 2013
- California Framing Contractors Association - "2013 Safety and Risk Management Summit - Hot Topics in Labor and Employment" - Corona - June 11, 2013
- California Employment Law Council - "Armenta - Contract Hours & Minimum Wage Court Extension to Piece Rate and Commission Compensation" - Los Angeles - April 19, 2013
- Ogletree Deakins Navigating California Employment Law Seminar - "California Legislative Developments and Trends - Where Will The Next Wave of Lawsuits Come From?" - Napa - March 21, 2013
- Center for Competitive Management National Webinar - "California Wage & Hour Record Keeping Requirements" - San Francisco - March 15, 2013
- Ogletree Deakins National Webinar - "Round the Clock - Current Timekeeping & Rounding Requirements" - San Francisco - February 6, 2013
- California Employment Law Council - "Independent Contractors (Are They Really Your Employees?) Joint Employer Issues" - Los Angeles - November 9, 2012
- Ogletree Deakins California Seminar: Managing a Workforce in 2013 - "Slaying the Wage and Hour Class Action Dragon Without Going to Court" - San Francisco - October 25, 2012
In The News
- July 30, 2014 - - "Court Endorses PTO Use for Exempt Employee Partial-Day Absences"
- July 29, 2014 - - "Motor Carriers Face Uphill Battle After California Supreme Court Decision"
- February 7, 2014 - - "5 Items Calif. Employers Should Review on Arbitration Deals"
- January 31, 2014 - - "Wage Deduction From Final Paycheck Narrowly Allowed by Ninth Circuit"
- October 18, 2013 - - "Calif. High Court Pushes Narrow Reading of Concepcion"
- June 18, 2012 - - "Federal Law Trumps Truckers' Break Claims Post-Brinker: Judge"
- May 2, 2012 - - "Employers Catch a Break: Calif. Case Puts Spotlight on Best Practices for Meal, Rest Breaks"
- April 13, 2012 - - "Ogletree Deakins Attorneys React To California High Court’s Brinker Decision"
- May 30, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "Ninth Circuit Revives Police Officers’ Age Bias Class Action Over Scrapped Exam"
- August 2, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "California Supreme Court Action in Piece-Rate Pay Case Causes Concerns About Alternative Pay Systems"
- January 25, 2013 - CompanyMileage - Ask The Expert - Labor Law & Mileage - "Setting Mileage Reimbursement Rates to Ensure Compliance with Labor Code Section 2802"
- September 10, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "CA Governor Signs New Law Expanding Protection for Religious Dress and Grooming in the Workplace"
- August 7, 2012 - Law360 - "When Brinker And The FAAAA Collide, Fed. Law Reigns"
- June 18, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "High Court Rules Pharmaceutical Sales Reps Are Exempt From FLSA's Overtime Requirements"
- October 24, 2011 - Inside Counsel - "Labor: Small Mistakes Mean Large Potential Liability"
- October 14, 2011 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "California Governor Signs New Employment Bills"
- November 9, 2010 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "Avoiding California Wage & Hour Class Action Suits"
- April 22, 2010 - The Virtual Lobbyist - "The State of Labor Law Enforcement in California"
- August 2004 - California Labor & Employment Law Review, Volume 18, No.4 - "Premium Overtime Pay for Attorneys?"