Ron Chapman, Jr.
Mr. Chapman serves on the Firm’s Board of Directors. He is Board Certified in labor and employment law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and represents employers in all areas of labor and employment law, including discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wage and hour, non-competition and non-disclosure covenants, leaves of absence, employment agreements and policies, union campaigns, collective bargaining, unfair labor practices, and workplace safety. Employment Law360 lists Mr. Chapman as one of the nation's preeminent "rainmakers" based on his "passion" for "being a proven resource and problem solver," and notes his (1) "out-of-this-world approach to client service," (2) "competitive rate," (3) "high degree of efficiency in performing the work," (4) "extreme responsiveness," and (5) "great results." Mr. Chapman is listed in The Best Lawyers in America; Chambers USA; "Super Lawyers"; "Top 100 Best of the Best in Dallas/Ft. Worth" regardless of subject matter; D Magazine's "Best Lawyers in Dallas"; and the Dallas Business Journal's "Top Corporate Defenders." The International Law Office named Mr. Chapman as the overall winner for the entire United States and the exclusive winner for Texas in the Employment and Labor category for its Client Choice awards, based on feedback provided by more than 2,000 in-house counsel. The recognition focused on Mr. Chapman's ability to add real value to clients' business above and beyond other lawyers, with specific criteria including the quality of legal advice, value for money, commercial awareness, effective communication, billing transparency, tailored fee structures, response time, sharing of expertise, and use of technology.
Mr. Chapman has defended clients in over 25 states and the U.S. Virgin Islands, including class and collective actions, and regularly provides counseling to help clients navigate both legal and practical considerations. Representative clients include 7-Eleven, BNSF Railway, Boy Scouts of America, Children's Hospital, the City of Dallas, Dean Foods, D.R. Horton, Dr Pepper Snapple Group, FedEx Office, Fossil, GameStop, Hertz, Hunt Oil, Mary Kay, Omni Hotels, Raytheon, Sally Beauty Supply, Texas Instruments, Trinity Industries and Valero.
Education and Honors
J.D., cum laude, Southern Methodist University School of Law, 1995
B.A., cum laude, (Behavioral Sciences and Political Science) Rice University, 1992
- Overall winner for the entire United States and the exclusive winner for Texas in the Employment and Labor category for the International Law Office's Client Choice awards
- One of the nation's ten "Rising Stars" in employment law by Employment Law360, for his "out-of-this-world approach to client service"
- Best Lawyers in America
- "Leading Lawyers" by Chambers USA
- Super Lawyer by Texas Monthly
- Top 100 Best of the Best in Dallas/Ft.-Worth by Texas Monthly
- "Best Lawyers in Dallas" by D Magazine
- "Top Corporate Defender" by Dallas Business Journal
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Yellow Belt certified in Legal Lean Sigma
- Order of the Coif
- Judicial Law Clerk to Judge Robert Parker on the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Legal 500: Labor and Employment - Labor - Management Relations
- Employment Law360 (Advisory Board)
- Former Chairman, City of Dallas Civil Service Board
- Former Chairman, North Dallas Chamber of Commerce
- American Petroleum Labor Lawyers Association - "The Latest Labor Law Developments for Both Unionized and Non-Unionized Employers" - Dallas - October 24, 2013
- HR Southwest Conference - "Show Me The Money - Employment Laws That Can Actually Save Employers $$$" - Fort Worth - October 21, 2013
- HR Southwest - "Tools for Defending Employment Lawsuits Without Breaking the Bank" - Fort Worth - October 2012
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "State of Confusion - State Law Considerations for HR Professionals" - Phoenix - May 11, 2012
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "Arbitration Agreement "Smack Down" - Class Action Waivers Take a Bruising" - Phoenix - May 10, 2012
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "Retaliation Litigation - The Risks Escalate" - Chicago - May 13, 2011
- HR Southwest - "Bizarre Cases of the Last Year (and What You Can Learn from Them)" - Fort Worth - October 2010
- American Petroleum Labor Lawyers Association - "2010 Employment Law Update" - Houston - October 2010
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "Retaliation Litigation – The Risks Escalate" - Las Vegas - May 2010
- Metroplex Association of Corporate Paralegals - "Employment Law Update" - Dallas - March 2010
- HR Southwest - "Workplace Harassment – The Latest Rulings and Practical Advice" - Fort Worth - October 2009
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "The Millennial Generation and its Impact on Romance in the Workplace" - Miami - May 2009
- HR Southwest - "Layoffs and RIFs – Avoiding Liability When Downsizing" - Fort Worth - October 2008
- American Petroleum Labor Lawyers Association - "2008 Employment Law Update" - Houston - September 2008
- North Dallas Chamber of Commerce - "Employment Law Update" - Dallas - 2002/2013
In The News
- April 2, 2014 - - "Calif. High Court To Mull Fate of Employment Class Actions"
- March 24, 2014 - - "Employer Class Waivers On Surer Footing After 11th Circ. Win"
- March 13, 2014 - - "NLRB Asks 5th Circ. To Review DR Horton Class Waiver Ban"
- February 4, 2014 - - "5th Circ. Recalls DR Horton Mandate To Allow Rehearing"
- January 22, 2014 - - "Employers On Edge After NLRB Judge Expands DR Horton"
- January 2014 - - "NLRB Ruling on Arbitration Agreements Overturned"
- December 16, 2013 - - "Class Action Waivers in Employment Agreements: Expert Q&A with D.R. Horton's Counsel, Ron Chapman of Ogletree Deakins"
- December 16, 2013 - - "Employers Win Key Ruling on Arbitration Agreements"
- December 13, 2013 - - "Collective-Action Rights Don't Trump Policy Favoring Arbitration"
- December 12, 2013 - - "'Waiving' Goodbye to Class-Action Suits"
- December 11, 2013 - - "And The Defense Wins"
- December 5, 2013 - - "Daily Labor Report 'D.R. Horton Ruling Draws Mixed Reactions, But Lawyers Say Arbitration Fight Isn't Over'"
- December 5, 2013 - - "Litigator of the Week"
- December 4, 2013 - - "Lessons For Employers From the D.R. Horton Arbitration Case"
- December 4, 2013 - - "NLRB Failed to Give Proper Weight to FAA in Striking Down D.R. Horton's Class Arbitration Bar"
- January 9, 2014 - Thomson Reuters Legal Solutions Blog - "Practical Law Expert Q&A on Class Action Waivers in Employment Agreements with D.R. Horton's Lead Counsel"
- December 3, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "Fifth Circuit Rejects NLRB's D.R. Horton Decision"
- August 7, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Employers Should Reassess Strategy in Light of New Rulings from the Supreme Court"
- August 2, 2013 - InhouseBlog - "Employers Should Reassess Strategy in Light of New Rulings from the Supreme Court"
- September 23, 2011 - Law360 - "Managing Employee Social Media Posts"
- March 4, 2011 - San Antonio Business Journal - "Social Media Fences Do Need Mending"
- February 2011 - Dallas Business Journal - "Employers Should Adopt a Social Media Policy"
- November 2010 - Journal of Corporate Recruiting Leadership - "California Case Highlights Importance of Antidiscrimination Training"
- September 2010 - Dallas Bar Association Headnotes - "Avoiding Retaliation Claims"
- November 2009 - Dallas Bar Association Headnotes - "Using the Internet to Research Applicants"
- October 2009 - Journal of Corporate Recruiting Leadership - "Piercings, Tattoos, and Religious Discrimination"
- July 2009 - Journal of Corporate Recruiting Leadership - "Avoid Employing the Temporary Worker"
- February 2009 - Journal of Corporate Recruiting Leadership - "‘Yes We Can’ Expect Substantial Changes in Labor & Employment Law Under the Obama Administration"
- July 2008 - Journal of Corporate Recruiting Leadership - "What You Do Know Can Hurt You"
- May 2008 - Journal of Corporate Recruiting Leadership - "Avoiding Discrimination Claims Stemming from Pre-employment Physical and Psychological Testing"