Stephen A. Riga
Mr. Riga concentrates his practice in the area of employee benefits, including work with funds and employers to design, maintain, merge and terminate qualified and health and welfare plans. Mr. Riga prepares determination letter and voluntary compliance program submissions and assisted employers and funds on COBRA, Medicare Part D, and HIPAA compliance. Mr. Riga evaluates contribution and withdrawal liability obligations, and identifies retirement and health and welfare plan compliance issues during due diligence, estimating potential associated costs.
Mr. Riga received his J.D. from the Indiana University School of Law—Indianapolis in 2006. Originally from Los Angeles, California, Mr. Riga earned an undergraduate degree in English and History from Ball State University.
Education and Honors
J.D., magna cum laude, Indiana University School of Law—Indianapolis, 2006
B.A., summa cum laude, Ball State University, 1994
- Vice Chair, Indiana Benefits Conference
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Taxation and Business Law Sections)
- International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Indiana Chamber of Commerce & Ogletree Deakins Annual Employee Benefits Seminar - "New Privacy Deadlines: What Must Health Plans Do by September 23, 2013?" - Indianapolis - September 12, 2013
- HR.com Benefits: Cost Containment, Audits and Legal Risks Virtual Conference - Webinar - "HIPAA, HITECH, and HHS, Oh My! What Changes in the Health Privacy Regulations Mean for Employers" - August 9, 2013
- Chamber of Commerce Benefit Seminar - "Preparing for Health & Welfare Plan Audits" - Indianapolis - September 13, 2012
In The News
- December 19, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "At Year End, IRS Issues Guidance On Cafeteria Plan Transitional Rules For Windsor"
- September 6, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Early Guidance Sheds Light on Impact of United States v. Windsor on Employee Benefit Plans"
- February 4, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "HIPAA Omnibus Regulations: Protections for Genetic Information"
- January 24, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "New Final Regulations Strengthen HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules"
- November 2, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "A Tax-Favored Method Employers Can Use to Assist Employees Affected by Sandy"
- September 10, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Hurry Up and Wait—New Waiting Period Guidance for Health Plans"
- July 24, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "What To Do with an MLR Rebate Check?"