Stephen A. Riga
Mr. Riga concentrates his practice in the area of employee benefits and privacy and security issues.
Mr. Riga's benefits practice includes work with funds and employers to design, maintain, merge and terminate qualified retirement plans and health and welfare plans. Mr. Riga prepares determination letters and voluntary compliance program submissions and assists employers and funds on COBRA, Medicare Part D, and HIPAA compliance. Mr. Riga evaluates contribution and withdrawal liability obligations, and identifies retirement and health and welfare plan compliance issues during due diligence, estimating potential associated costs.
Mr. Riga's privacy practice extends beyond his work with benefit plans, including consulting regarding data security and privacy law, with an emphasis on ADA, FMLA and other federal and state privacy requirements for employers. He assists clients with the development of policies and procedures for data security and privacy legal compliance, the establishment of information security standards and implementation plans, and the training of the client's workforce in privacy and security matters. Mr. Riga offers counsel regarding security incidents and breach notice requirements, data use and disclosure under the EU data privacy framework, and compliance with US-EU Safe Harbor Privacy Principles.
Mr. Riga received his J.D. from the Indiana University School of Law - Indianapolis in 2006. Originally from Los Angeles, California, Mr. Riga earned an undergraduate degree in English and History from Ball State University.
Education and Honors
J.D., magna cum laude, Indiana University School of Law—Indianapolis, 2006
B.A., summa cum laude, Ball State University, 1994
- Chair, Indiana Benefits Conference
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Taxation and Business Law Sections)
- International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans
- CIPP/US (Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States)
- CIPP/E (Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe)
- Lorman - Health Care Reform for Employers: Now What? - "HIPAA Compliance: Strategies Strategies and Action Items for Health Plans" - Indianapolis - December 3, 2014
- Indiana Chamber of Commerce - Employee Benefits Seminar - "Beyond HIPAA: Protecting Data Security for All Benefit Plans" - Indianapolis - September 17, 2014
- Indiana Chamber of Commerce & Ogletree Deakins Annual Employee Benefits Seminar - "Speakers Panel: ERISA at 40: Top 10 Cases for Dinner Party Conversations" - Indianapolis - September 17, 2014
- Indiana Chamber of Commerce & Ogletree Deakins Annual Employee Benefits Seminar - "New Privacy Deadlines: What Must Health Plans Do by September 23, 2013?" - Indianapolis - September 12, 2013
- HR.com Benefits: Cost Containment, Audits and Legal Risks Virtual Conference - Webinar - "HIPAA, HITECH, and HHS, Oh My! What Changes in the Health Privacy Regulations Mean for Employers" - August 9, 2013
- Chamber of Commerce Benefit Seminar - "Preparing for Health & Welfare Plan Audits" - Indianapolis - September 13, 2012
In The News
- December 19, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "At Year End, IRS Issues Guidance On Cafeteria Plan Transitional Rules For Windsor"
- September 6, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Early Guidance Sheds Light on Impact of United States v. Windsor on Employee Benefit Plans"
- February 4, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "HIPAA Omnibus Regulations: Protections for Genetic Information"
- January 24, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "New Final Regulations Strengthen HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules"
- November 2, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "A Tax-Favored Method Employers Can Use to Assist Employees Affected by Sandy"
- September 10, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Hurry Up and Wait—New Waiting Period Guidance for Health Plans"
- July 24, 2012 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "What To Do with an MLR Rebate Check?"