Stuart D. Tochner
Stuart D. Tochner is a shareholder in the firm’s Los Angeles office, and has represented businesses and employers for over 25 years. Mr. Tochner’s career is dedicated to counseling and defending employers in nearly all employment-related matters, and he represents their interests in both state and federal court, and before administrative judges and agencies.
Mr. Tochner’s employment litigation practice spans the breadth of the field, including wrongful termination, sexual harassment, and discrimination cases, wage and hour disputes (including class action defense), as well as other employee discipline and personnel practices matters. He also specializes in representing employers in litigation arising from employee non-competition agreements and trade secret misappropriation matters.
Mr. Tochner provides ongoing legal support and counseling on a daily basis for his clients. He provides training to managers and supervisors in all areas of employment law, including sexual and racial harassment prevention, disciplinary practice, and documentation policies. Mr. Tochner also has significant experience handling employment issues tailored to the representation of private colleges and universities.
Prior to joining Ogletree Deakins, Mr. Tochner was a partner in the Labor & Employment Department of Musick, Peeler & Garrett L.L.P. in Los Angeles. Mr. Tochner is married with two children, and has served on the Board of Directors of the Zimmer Children’s Museum, Camp Ramah of California, and on the Executive Committee of Temple Beth Am.
Mr. Tochner has represented some of California’s largest employers in a variety of contexts. In the area of trade secrets and noncompetition, he has represented a prominent metal distributor, a national advertising agency, and a major Silicon Valley gaming company. He has litigated employment disputes on behalf of some of the nation’s most significant aerospace companies, accounting firms, bottling companies, and a host of other major employers.
Mr. Tochner has represented nearly every major private college and university in the Southern California area for nearly 20 years. He has handled faculty, student, and staff matters, and has provided numerous trainings and seminars on topics of unique interest to that industry.
Education and Honors
J.D., University of Southern California Law Center, 1985
B.A., University of California at Berkeley, 1981
- Hale Moot Court Honors Program
- State Bar of California (Section of Labor and Employment Law)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "The Land Where Any Mistake Can Cost You Millions" - Las Vegas - May 6, 2010 - May 7, 2010
- Labor and Employment Law Developments in the State of California - "Wage & Hour Law—Practical Issues and Recommendations" - Los Angeles - November 12, 2009
- United Educators Western Seminar - "Tenure Issues in Higher Education" - Los Angeles - March 2007
- CalArts - "California Employment Law Update" - Valencia - October 2005
- United Educators Western Seminar - "California Employment Issues" - Pasadena - May 2004
- Chapman University Faculty and Managers - "Employment Issues on Campus" - Orange - August 2001
In The News
- December 30, 2010 - - "Suit Says Law Firm Holiday Party Ended at Bikini Bar"
- December 20, 2010 - - "Employee Alleges Law Firm Was Like A Frat House"
- May 2, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Obama Administration Releases Names of Colleges and Universities Facing Sexual Assault Investigations"
- August 10, 2009 - Los Angeles Daily Journal - "Stuart Tochner Joins Ogletree Deakins"
- August 7, 2009 - National Law Journal - "Stuart Tochner Joins Ogletree Deakins"
- August 5, 2009 - Employment Law 360 - "Stuart Tochner Joins Ogletree Deakins"
- October 19, 2007 - Chronicle of Higher Education - "Occidental College Settles Lawsuit With ‘Shock Jock’ Student"
- August 18, 2006 - HigherEd.com - "Sue Before You Graduate"