Todd S. Timmons
Todd Timmons joined the firm’s Columbia, South Carolina, office in 2011. He has represented companies in a range of employment and labor matters, including NLRB representation elections, unfair labor practice proceedings, discrimination, harassment, wrongful discharge, and workplace torts. Todd has appeared in federal and state court, as well as before administrative agencies, including the EEOC, NLRB, SCHAC, and SCDEW.
Todd is also a certified Professional in Human Resources and has experience helping employers identify practical solutions to workplace issues. In this role, he has taught positive employee relations training courses and also spoken at human resources and legal seminars on a number of topics - including social media in the workplace and recent enforcement initiatives of federal agencies.
Todd received his law degree from the University of South Carolina, where he served on the editorial board of the South Carolina Law Review and as a member of the Order of the Wig and Robe. Prior to law school, he graduated from Wake Forest University.
- Represented employers in the medical manufacturing, food distribution, and electrical services industries in union organizing campaigns and unfair labor practice proceedings
- Assisted with review of employee handbooks and policies
- Provided advice on compliance with South Carolina employment laws as well as federal statutes, such as the FMLA, ADA, FLSA, NLRA, and ADEA.
- Drafted employment agreements, separation agreements, and other employment-related contracts for employers in a number of industries
- Represented an employer in the successful resolution of unemployment appeal before the SCDEW
- Taught Positive Employee Relations Training courses to supervisors in manufacturing environments
Education and Honors
J.D., cum laude, University of South Carolina School of Law, 2011
B.A., cum laude, Wake Forest University, 2007
- Editorial Board Member, South Carolina Law Review
- CALI Award, Legal Writing
- Member, Order of the Wig and Robe
- Richland County Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar - Young Lawyers Division
- Certified Professional in Human Resources (PHR) by the Human Resources Certification Institute
- South Carolina Bankers School - "Personnel and Employment Law" - Greenwood - July 2014
- Certificate in Employee Relations Law Series - "Handling Unemployment Claims" - Columbia - July 2014
- Carolinas HR Conference - "Trends in Employment Law" - Myrtle Beach - May 2014
- The Employers Association - "Employer Rights and Obligations Under the NLRA" - Charlotte - March 2014
- Association of Corporate Counsel - "What to Expect from the DOL, NLRB, and EEOC" - Columbia - February 2014
- University of South Carolina School of Law - "Guest Speaker" - Columbia - October 2013
- Carolinas HR Conference - "Avoiding Derailment of Strategic Initiatives" - Myrtle Beach - May 2013
- SC Bar Employment & Labor Law Section - "Drafting Social Media Policies and Criminal Background Check Policies in Light of NLRB and EEOC Enforcement Guidance" - Columbia - May 2013
- Certificate in Employee Relations Law Series - "Labor Laws" - Columbia - March 2013
- Employment Law Beyond the Basics - "The NLRB's Expanding Agenda" - Columbia - October 2012
In The News
- July/August 2014 - South Carolina Business - "Employee Conduct Rules"
- February 2013 - ABA Committee on the Development of the Law Under the NLRA - "Will the Board Overrule the Register Guard Discrimination Standard in Roundy's? Should it?"
- November/December 2012 - South Carolina Business - "Protecting Our Business-Friendly Environment"
- July/August 2012 - South Carolina Business - "EEOC Issues Background Check Guidelines"
- November/December 2011 - South Carolina Business - "The NLRB's Impact on Business in the Coming Decade"