Payroll & Tax Specialist (Greenville, SC)
The Greenville, SC office of Ogletree Deakins has an opening for a Payroll & Tax Specialist. The position will be responsible for payroll functions for Ogletree Deakins Law Firm. Plans and processes multiple multi-state payroll cycles so that exempt employees are paid accurately. Processes payroll data, including taxes, appropriate deductions, and appropriate withholdings. Uses strong problem-solving skills and good judgment to resolve routine compensation issues. Reports to Director of Human Resources, and also works closely with the Controller and Accounting Department. A high level of responsibility and independent initiative is expected.
Successful job applicants will be able to perform these essential functions with or without requested reasonable accommodations:
- Maintains payroll-related accounts and is responsible for the reconciliation and accuracy of one or more accounts within a complex accounting system.
- Performs activities necessary to process multiple payrolls, including maintaining related records, filing tax reports and voluntary deduction reports, processing involuntary deductions such as levies and garnishments, preparing accounting transactions and documents, documenting and updating procedures, and preparing special reports for management.
- Calculates and processes manual checks and supplemental payroll cycles as needed
- Analyzes payrolls for accuracy, reconciles errors and maintains payroll records
- Processes information for employee status changes and terminations
- Works with other Human Resources team members to ensure accurate deductions of benefit premiums and contributions
- Processes changes affecting net wages, such as exemptions, insurance coverage, and loan payments for each employee
- Researches and advises payroll staff concerning the accounting treatment of complex transactions.
- Responsible for all payroll tax activities, including compliance with local, state, and federal regulations. Works with third-party tax administrator, to ensure proper calculation, reporting and funding of tax payments to Federal and multiple State and Local entities
- Prepares W-2s at end of each year
- Performs periodic internal audits of various payroll areas and prepares materials for external and/or internal auditors.
- Prepares ad hoc reports as needed
- Plays key role in annual salary increase processes
- Responds to inquiries from Office Administrators, staff employees and attorneys in timely, professional, and confidential manner
- Supports the annual open enrollment process as necessary to ensure accurate posting of new deductions resulting from new benefit elections
- May reconcile list bills from group benefits providers and may remit payments
- Responsible for processing withholdings and payment reconciliation for liens and judgments related to such matters as childcare support, tax liens, etc. and coordinating with appropriate third parties, as needed.
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong Problem-solving and Math skills
- Customer service mindset
- Excellent Oral and Written Communication skills – listens well and seeks clarification. Responds to inquiries and provides feedback in a timely manner.
- Ability to meet extremely high standards of accuracy and consistency
- Excellent Organizational skills – able to juggle multiple projects and priorities at the same time, and able to maintain confidential records in a structured, consistent manner
- Takes initiative and is dependable
- Able to work well under pressure with tight deadlines
- Is a cooperative and supportive team member
- Proven ability to handle highly confidential information in a professional and appropriate manner
Computer Skills / Office Equipment:
Must be proficient in all Microsoft applications, including but not limited to Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint. Must be able to operate all common office equipment, such as phones, calculators, copiers, fax, scanners, computers and printers.
Education / Experience:
College degree preferred, High School Diploma or equivalent required
Four or more years of multi-state payroll experience
Experience with HRIS/payroll processing software required, SaaS environment preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of the requirements that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a telephone, computer keyboard and mouse; reach with hands and arms; talk and listen. The employee frequently required to walk and sit, as well as to lift and carry objects such as books and files weighing up to 15 pounds. The employee is occasionally required to stand, stoop or kneel. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
To apply for this position please send resumes to email@example.com.