Practice and Industry Groups
David E. Jones
David E. Jones engages in a nationwide practice representing employers on matters involving occupational safety and health (OSHA). Mr. Jones formerly served as a presidential appointee, holding the post of Legal Counsel and Special Advisor to the Chairman at the Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission in Washington, D.C. He is a former Employer Co-Chair of the American Bar Association’s Occupational Safety and Health Law Committee. Mr. Jones started his career as a trial attorney with the Office of the Solicitor, U.S. Department of Labor.
In recognition of his long and distinguished career of over 35 years in the practice of labor and employment law, Mr. Jones has been elected a Fellow of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers. He is also listed in Best Lawyers in America.
At Ogletree Deakins, Mr. Jones is the founding and current Chair of the
- Following a comprehensive wall-to-wall inspection, OSHA recently issued citations to a company proposing penalties in the range of several hundred thousand dollars and designating it for inclusion in the agency’s Severe Violator Enforcement Program (SVEP). Within one month of being retained, Mr. Jones helped this new client formulate and carry out a strategy to resolve the citations, resulting in a nearly 50% reduction in the proposed penalties and the deletion of the company from SVEP.
- Mr. Jones recently negotiated an agreement resulting in the Secretary of Labor taking the rare action of withdrawing in its entirety a contested OSHA “General Duty Clause” citation in a fatality case involving a client having hundreds of facilities across the country that otherwise could
Professional Activities and Speeches
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section (Former Employer Co-Chair, Program Chair, and current Member of the Occupational Safety and Health Law Committee)
- State Bar of Georgia (Labor and Employment Law Section)
- Atlanta Bar Association (Labor and Employment Law Section)
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Labor Relations Committee (OSHA Subcommittee)
- Authored rulemaking comments of Society for Human Resources Management on proposed OSHA Ergonomics Program Standard
- Manufacturers Alliance for Productivity and Innovation - ''OSHA Regulatory and Enforcement Update'' - Atlanta - October, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Corporate Labor and Employment Counsel Exclusive - ''Workplace Safety: Advanced Legal Strategies for Dealing with OSHA'' - Dana Point - September, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - ''Hysterical Blindness, Flop Sweat, and Other Unbecoming Behavior to Avoid in a Workplace Crises'' - Las Vegas - May, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Safety Symposium - ''OSHA's Cutting-Edge Enforcement Agenda: How Far Can OSHA Push The Envelope, And What Does It Mean For Your Company?'' - Las Vegas - May, 2014
- Fabricators and Manufacturers Association International Safety Conference 2014 - ''Late Breaking OSHA Issues - An Interactive Discussion'' - Rock Island - April, 2014
Welcome to the new
We’ve redesigned our website to better serve our client's needs. Please take a moment to browse our new site.
Thank you for visiting.