* Currently licensed in Maryland only.
Mr. Topolski is a nationally recognized labor and employment lawyer. His practice is devoted primarily to advising large (Fortune 500) and medium sized companies in all aspects of relationships concerning unions and matters arising under the National Labor Relations Act and related laws and regulations. These include: union avoidance through positive employee relations; union organizing and decertification campaigns; unit clarification matters; collective bargaining strategies; strike and lockout strategies; injunction strategies; joint and single employer issues; double breasting; complex legal issues associated with the sale and transfer of assets and stock; achievement of business goals through creative labor and employee relations strategies; advice concerning protected concerted activity both inside and outside bargaining relationships with labor unions; adopting policies and procedures to meet the constantly changing requirements of the National Labor Relations Act as interpreted by Congress, the National Labor Relations Board and the courts; and coordinating labor and employment strategies across multiple locations.
Mr. Topolski also regularly counsels clients on all aspects of federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity and fair employment practices laws and regulations. These include issues arising under: Title VII of the Civil Rights Act; the ADA; the FMLA; FLSA; USERRA; the Davis Bacon Act; the Service Contract Act; the WARN Act; various affirmative action laws and regulations and executive orders; and MBE certifications. Mr. Topolski also counsels clients on confidentiality, trade secrets, no solicitation and non-compete matters.
Mr. Topolski regularly addresses at all stages and litigates representation and unfair labor practice matters before hearing officers, Administrative Law Judges, the National Labor Relations Board and federal district and circuit courts. Mr. Topolski also tries federal, state and local statutory and administrative employment law and related claims before administrative agencies, trial courts, and appellate courts.
Mr. Topolski regularly presents to employer and other groups on a wide range of topics related to labor and employment law. He develops and conducts presentations and training to meet the specific needs of the client or group.
Education and Honors
- The Best Lawyers in America (2009-2015)
- Chambers USA – America’s Leading Lawyer – Employment Law (2005, 2008-2011, 2013, 2014)
- Maryland Super Lawyer (2007-2012)
- Who’s Who Legal USA (2006)
- American Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Baltimore City
- Former Adjunct Faculty, University of Maryland School of Law
In The News
- May 16, 2014 - - "Non-union Truckers Brace for New NLRB Rules"
- June 26, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "National eAuthority"
- June 26, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Publication - "Supreme Court Holds NLRB Member Recess Appointments Unconstitutional"
- 2004 - American Health Lawyers Association, Labor & Employment Practice Group Newsletter - "The Corporate Campaign—Are You Ready?"