Maria Greco Danaher regularly represents and counsels companies in employment related matters. She specializes in representing management in labor relations and employment litigation, and in training, counseling, and advising human resource departments and corporate management on these topics. Maria has first chaired trials in both federal and state courts since 1986, and regularly instructs attorneys and students in issues related to trial tactics.
In addition to her litigation experience, Maria regularly acts as a “neutral” for the local federal court’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Program, and was a co-drafter of the local rule related to ADR. She counsels and trains companies on dispute resolution procedures and facilitative communication, and is a member of the firm’s Diversity Steering Committee. Maria also writes regularly for HR News, a monthly publication of the Society for Human Resource Management, and is on the Advisory Board of “You & the Law,” a publication of the National Institute of Business Management. She is a regular contributor to the Allegheny County Bar Association's Lawyer's Journal. She is a presenter for Pennsylvania Bar Institute continuing legal education programs, and is an adjunct professor for the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, and has been named one of the “Best Lawyers in America.”
Maria’s prior experience includes having acted as in-house litigation counsel for a Fortune 100 company based in Pittsburgh, where she was involved in oversight and management of litigation done by outside counsel in over twenty domestic locations, including general tort litigation and employment law matters. She also coordinated counseling and training of that company’s management, supervisory, and line employees regarding basic obligations under various employment-related statutes.
Maria also has acted as outside counsel for various corporations on labor and employment issues, including participation in defense of claims made to EEOC and state agencies, resolution of grievances, and trials of employment matters in both federal and state courts. Her current legal work includes formulation and drafting of corporate employment policies and procedures for national corporations and small businesses, as well as training and counseling regarding various labor and employment issues, workplace violence avoidance, and cultural diversity. In addition, she regularly instructs attorneys in trial tactics and procedures, both through the National Institute for Trial Advocacy and through in-house programs.
U.S. District Court, Middle and Western Districts of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court, Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third, Fourth, Sixth and Seventh Circuits
Education and Honors
- Rated AV (its highest rating) by Martindale-Hubbell
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyer (yearly since 1999)
- Best Lawyer in America (yearly since 2007)
- Allegheny County Bar Association (ACBA)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Adjunct Professor, University of Pittsburgh School of Law
- American Inns of Court, Amy Reynolds Hay Chapter (Executive Board Member)
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- Instructor, National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA)
- American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA) (Chair, Labor & Employment Practice Group)
- AHLA Webinar - "Bundles of Joy, Bushels of Paperwork: Pregnancy and Postpartum Issues in the Workplace" - July 31, 2014
- Business and Legal Resources (BLR) Webinar - "Pregnancy and Postpartum Issues in the Workplace" - November 22, 2013
- Pennsylvania Bar Institute Employment Law West Program - "Privacy Issues in the Workplace" - Pittsburgh - November 14, 2013
- Ogletree Deakins Corporate Labor and Employment Counsel Exclusive - "Ethics, Negotiation, and The Art of War: How to Win Without Fighting" - Charleston - November 7, 2013 - November 9, 2013
- Ogletree Deakins Webinar - "Bundles of Joy, Bushels of Paperwork; Pregnancy and Postpartum Issues in the Workplace" - October 23, 2013
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "Don't Shoot The HR Messenger: Five Tips To Communicate Better With Employees and Managers" - New Orleans - May 9, 2013 - May 11, 2013
- Ogletree Deakins Breakfast Briefing - "Recent Developments in Workplace Safety and Health: OSHA's Continued Push on 'Tough' Enforcement and New Standards" - Pittsburgh - April 11, 2013
- American Corporate Counsel - Pittsburgh Chapter - "Sun Tzu's The Art of War: How to Win Without Fighting" - Pittsburgh - April 1, 2013
- Webinar - "Facing the Dangers of Workplace Violence: Prevention and Response Strategies" - March 19, 2013
- AHLA Hospitals and Health Systems Law Institute - "The Intersection of Peer Review and Discipline of Employed Physicians" - Las Vegas - February 11, 2011
- Client Seminar - "Handling Discrimination Complaints: Training for Managers and Supervisors" - Beckley - November 11, 2010
- National Institute of Business Management - "Employment Law 101" - webinar - November 4, 2010
- Ogletree Deakins Briefing - "Collision Course: Physician Staffing Issues and Employment-Related Lawsuits" - Pittsburgh - October 26, 2010
- Ogletree Deakins Breakfast Briefing - "Independent Contractors: Is there any such thing . . . ?" - Pittsburgh - October 20, 2010
- Providing Advice and Guidance in Internal Investigations - "Investigating Employee Complaints: A Protocol for Offering Legal Direction to HR" - Woodcliff Lake - October 5, 2010
In The News
- November 4, 2014 - - "Expert Q&A: What Employers Need to Know about Ebola"
- May 16, 2014 - - "5 Tips For Avoiding An EEOC Pregnancy Bias Lawsuit"
- April 21, 2014 - - "Helping at Home"
- February 19, 2014 - - "Are Some Workers "Too Cute" To Employ?"
- February 1, 2014 - - "Accommodating Pregnant Employees"
- December 4, 2013 - - "Integrity Tests: The New Background Checks?"
- May 2013 - - "Employer Not Obligated to Provide FMLA 'Light Duty' Assignment"
- April 4, 2013 - - "Same-Sex Harassment Not Always Straightforward"
- January 27, 2013 - - "Regulators set stance on worker Web posts"
- January 2013 - - "EEOC warns employers of discrimination related to domestic violence"
- March 25, 2012 - - "Severance Pay Must Be Set With Equality In Mind"
- February 23, 2012 - - "EEOC Rule Defines "Reasonable" in ADEA Cases"
- February 22, 2012 - - "Undegreed Applicants May Be Hired in Some Positions"
- December 21, 2011 - - "What HR Says Can Be Used Against It; Experts Suggest Termination 'Talking Points'"
- November 2011 - - "Cat's Paw Case Leaves Imprint on Proper Employee Termination Steps"
- December 2, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Ebola Outbreak Prompts HHS Bulletin on Application of HIPAA During Emergencies"
- October 13, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "The Employer’s Reference Guide to Information About Ebola"
- October 2, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Fifth Circuit Finds Restriction of Job Responsibilities May Constitute Adverse Employment Action Under Title VII"
- August 6, 2014 - SHRM.org - "Ill.: Terminated Pregnant Employee May Have Anticipatory Discharge Claim"
- August 4, 2014 - SHRM.org - "Employee’s Failure to Apply for Position Dooms Discriminatory Hiring Claim"
- May 12, 2014 - SHRM.org - "Depressed Employee's Vacation Leave Request Did Not Qualify for FMLA Protection"
- April 17, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Employee Needs More Than Speculation to Support his Retaliation Claim"
- April 9, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Depressed Employee’s Vacation Leave Request Did Not Qualify For FMLA Protection"
- March 10, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "When Titans Clash: California Whistleblower Protections Trump Law on Review of Internal Hospital Staff Privilege Procedures"
- March 3, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Does a 100% Healed Policy Violate the ADA? What to Require of Employees Returning From Leave"
- February 10, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Prohibiting “Message” Clothing Without Business Reason Violates the NLRA"
- January 14, 2014 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Light Duty Policy Limited to Work-Related Injuries Could Support Claim for Pregnancy Discrimination"
- December 3, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Should Employers Test Applicants’ Integrity? The EEOC Discusses “Integrity Testing”"
- November 4, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Employer Faces ADA/FMLA Conundrum And Wins Summary Judgment"
- October 2, 2013 - SHRM.org - "Pa.: Court Jump Starts Unemployment Claim"