Michael M. Shetterly
Mr. Shetterly is the managing shareholder in the Greenville, South Carolina office. He has a blended practice, focusing on litigation and proactive advice to clients. In litigation, he focuses on the ultimate objective of the client and tries to streamline the approach to litigation to hone in on the core objectives and outcome determinative issues.
Mr. Shetterly routinely provides training and real world advice to human resources teams, general counsels, and supervisors on best practices, particularly with regard to Discrimination Laws (Title VII), Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Social Media, and independent contractor vs. employment relationships.
Attendees at seminars given by Mr. Shetterly write: “EXCELLENT!” “Thoroughly enjoyed the delivery. My favorite presentation so far! You are a Rock Star!” “Great presentation; Very personable and down to earth; Made us feel included;” “the presenter used real world examples during the presentation which often made points reviewed clearer;” “Lots of good, real-world examples were used which made the material easier to understand and remember;” “Great use of stories and analogies;” “Engaging – Good Examples;” “Mike is a great presenter; lots of knowledge, personality and humor! Good experience!” “Mike made the class fun!” “Mike did a great job with the presentation. He is funny, dynamic, and extremely knowledgeable.” “The dialog and coaching from the facilitator is extremely helpful;” “Presenter was very knowledgeable and kept the attention of the class;” “Mr. Shetterly is a great presenter. Good job of keeping the presentation and material interesting;” “Michael delivered the information in an engaging manner; I enjoyed the presenter’s delivery very much;” “Thank you for providing first class training!” “Mike’s sense of humor really helps make the topic easier to listen/pay attention to;” “I always enjoy the presentations Mike gives; He has a great sense of humor.”
Mr. Shetterly began his legal career handling commercial, construction, insurance, and property rights litigation in State, Federal and Administrative courts. Since coming to Ogletree Deakins in 2000, Mr. Shetterly has continued to handle commercial litigation, construction litigation and insurance litigation. Mr. Shetterly routinely advises clients on best employment practices, FMLA, ADA, Title VII compliance, wage issues, policies and procedures. Mr. Shetterly is one of the office’s primary litigators, representing the firm’s clients before state and federal courts.
Mr. Shetterly represents many of the largest construction companies and financing companies in their employment matters, commercial matters, and construction matters.
Education and Honors
J.D., cum laude, University of South Carolina School of Law, 1996
B.A., Political Economy and Philosophy, Wofford College, 1993
- Former Attorney General for Wofford College
- Member, Law Review
- Member, National ABA Moot Court Team
- Adjunct Professor, Columbia Junior College’s paralegal school (1997-1999)
- Guest lecturer – USC School of Law on Insurance
- Guest Lecturer – Clemson University on Construction
- Best Lawyers in America
- Chambers USA (2011, 2013, 2014)
- South Carolina Super Lawyer (2013 & 2014)
- Team Spartanburg (Board of Directors; Head of Operations; Economic Impact Chair; Director of Finance; Marketing Committee Oversight)
- International Center for the Upstate (Board of Directors; Marketing Committee)
- Spartanburg Area Chamber of Commerce (Council of Advisors)
- South Carolina Bar
- Leadership Greenville – Class 36
- Riley Institute, Diversity Leadership Academy, Fall 2010 Class
- Vistage Member
- Ogletree Deakins Managing a Workforce 2014 - "Complex Leave Issues Under the FMLA/ADA" - Scottsdale - October 4, 2013
- South Carolina Hospital Association webinar - "Social Media: Is Anything Private Anymore???" - September 13, 2011
- Upstate South Carolina Chapter of the American Payroll Association - "Changes in SC Unemployment" - Greenville - August 2011
- South Carolina Hospital Association - "Social Media" - Columbia - August 2011
- South Carolina Hospital Association - "Generational Issues In The Workplace" - Columbia - July 2011
- Greenville Technical College Certificate Series – Greenville Tech - "FMLA Training For Human Resources" - Greenville - June 2011
- ADP Luncheon - "The Unemployment Insurance Overhaul In South Carolina " - Greenville - June 2011
- Spartanburg Development Association FMLA Workshop - "Everything You Need To Know About The FMLA, But Don’t" - Greenville - February 2011
- Southern Textile Association 2010 Fall Meeting - "Legal Issues Affecting The Textile Industry" - Spartanburg - November 4, 2010
- Private Client Seminar - "ADA And FMLA For Supervisors" - Greenville - November 2010
- Virginia Society of Healthcare Marketing & Public Relations (VSHMPR) - "Social Media" - Richmond - October 15, 2010
- The 16th Annual South Carolina SHRM State Conference - "Avoiding Pitfalls of Social Media" - Myrtle Beach - September 30, 2010
- Private Client Seminar - "Legal Issues with Social Media" - Florence - July 2010
- South Carolina Hospital Association - "Social Media Revolution" - Columbia - June 23, 2010
- Greenville Technical College Certificate Series - "FMLA Training For Human Resources" - Greenville - June 15, 2010
In The News
- February 11, 2013 - - "Employers Should Brace For More FMLA Leave Requests"
- June 2011 - - "Employers May Be Checking Your Social Media Pages"
- August 23, 2010 - - "Call-In Policies Can Aid FMLA-Compliant Employers"
- July 2, 2013 - Business Management Daily - "New Military Caregiver Leave Rules Continue FMLA Expansion"
- March 6, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "New FMLA Poster Must Be Up By March 8"
- February 8, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Slow Creep of FMLA Expansion Continues"
- January 24, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "DOL Clarifies Definition of “Son or Daughter” Under FMLA"
- August 2010 - Greenville Business Magazine - "Is He an Employee or an Independent Contractor?"
- November 2005 - Ogletree Deakins - "Becoming An Employer In South Carolina"
- November/December 1998 - 10 S. Carolina Lawyer 32 - "Problems with Synthetic Stucco"
- Fall 1995 - 47 S.C.L. Rev. 52 - "Court Examines Defense Of Insanity And Guilty But Mentally Ill Verdict"