Michael M. Shetterly
Mr. Shetterly is the managing shareholder in the Greenville, South Carolina office. He regularly counsels management on an array of employment and labor law issues, but the primary focus of his practice is FMLA and ADA compliance. He regularly counsels the firm’s clients to ensure management can confidently comply with these complex laws.
Mr. Shetterly began his legal career as a litigator in an array of cases, including construction, insurance, toxic torts and non-compete and trade secret cases. He still litigates today, including employment law cases. He therefore has a blended practice, focusing on litigation and proactive advice to clients.
Mr. Shetterly views his counseling role as one designed to make clients self-sufficient and compliant. His advice is practical, making difficult concepts simple. He is locally and nationally recognized as an excellent trainer of general counsels, human resources, and management.
Attendees at seminars given by Mr. Shetterly write: “EXCELLENT!” “Thoroughly enjoyed the delivery. My favorite presentation so far! You are a Rock Star!” “Great presentation; Very personable and down to earth; Made us feel included;” “the presenter used real world examples during the presentation which often made points reviewed clearer;” “Lots of good, real-world examples were used which made the material easier to understand and remember;” “Great use of stories and analogies;” “Engaging – Good Examples;” “Mike is a great presenter; lots of knowledge, personality and humor! Good experience!” “Mike made the class fun!” “Mike did a great job with the presentation. He is funny, dynamic, and extremely knowledgeable.” “The dialog and coaching from the facilitator is extremely helpful;” “Presenter was very knowledgeable and kept the attention of the class;” “Mr. Shetterly is a great presenter. Good job of keeping the presentation and material interesting;” “Michael delivered the information in an engaging manner; I enjoyed the presenter’s delivery very much;” “Thank you for providing first class training!” “Mike’s sense of humor really helps make the topic easier to listen/pay attention to;” “I always enjoy the presentations Mike gives; He has a great sense of humor.”
Mr. Shetterly has handled trials involving employment, trade secrets, non-compete issues, commercial, construction, insurance, and property rights litigation in State, Federal and Administrative courts.
Mr. Shetterly routinely overhauls policies, procedures, and contracts on an array of topics, including leave policies, ADA policies, FMLA policies and procedures, non-compete agreements, social media policies, compensation agreements, independent contractor criteria, general handbooks, etc.
Mr. Shetterly provides an array of training, public and private, including all day FMLA seminars, all day ADA seminars, harassment training, social media training, among others. Mr. Shetterly routinely travels the country with his own seminar program entitled “FMLA to Z with Mike Shetterly.”
Mr. Shetterly regularly provides full service counsel to clients, handling employment and labor law advice to large and small organization. This permits Mr. Shetterly to handle day to day advice, strategic overhaul of policies and employment practices, training to implement the strategies, handling EEOC, DOL, and NLRB claims, and litigation.
Education and Honors
J.D., cum laude, University of South Carolina School of Law, 1996
B.A., Political Economy and Philosophy, Wofford College, 1993
- Former Student Attorney General for Wofford College
- Member, Law Review
- Member, National ABA Moot Court Team
- Adjunct Professor, Columbia Junior College’s paralegal school (1997-1999)
- Guest lecturer – USC School of Law on Insurance
- Guest Lecturer – Clemson University on Construction
- Guest Lecturer on Employment topics for – Upstate Employer's Network, Lorman, Sterling, HRCI, HR Roundtable, Workplace Strategies, SEAK, Alabama Self Insurers Association, WCI and CAI
- Best Lawyers in America (since 2011; 2015 Greenville Litigation - Labor and Employment "Lawyer of the Year")
- Chambers USA (2011, 2013, 2014)
- South Carolina Super Lawyer (2013 & 2014)
- Team Spartanburg (Board of Directors; Head of Operations; Economic Impact Chair; Director of Finance; Marketing Committee Oversight)
- International Center for the Upstate (Board of Directors; Marketing Committee)
- Spartanburg Area Chamber of Commerce (Council of Advisors)
- South Carolina Bar
- Leadership Greenville – Class 36
- Riley Institute, Diversity Leadership Academy, Fall 2010 Class
- Vistage Member
- Greenville Symphony Orchestra
- SC Manufacturers Alliance Human Resource Managers Annual Meeting - "Complex Leave Issues Under The FMLA" - Greenville - October 15, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Briefing - "Leave Issues Under The FMLA and ADA" - Greenville - October 14, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Seminar - "Leave Issues Under The FMLA and ADA" - Dallas - October 8, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Seminar - "Leave Issues Under The FMLA and ADA" - Phoenix - August 21, 2014
- Alabama Self-Insurer’s Association Summer Conference 2014 - "How to Handle The Toughest FMLA Issues" - Destin - August 2014
- Certificate in Employee Relations Law Series - "Employer’s Responsibilities Under The FMLA" - Greenville - June 17, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "Leaves as Reasonable Accommodations: How Much Is Enough And Is Anything Unreasonable?" - Las Vegas - May 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Briefing - "Leave Issues Under The FMLA and ADA" - Greenville - March 12, 2014
- 2014 Association of Corporate Counsel - "ADA, FMLA, And Absenteeism" - Greenville - February 27, 2014
- HR Law Update 2014 - "Test Your FMLA Knowledge" - Greenville - February 25, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Seminar - "Complex Leave Issues Under the FMLA/ADA" - Scottsdale - October 4, 2013
- South Carolina Hospital Association webinar - "Social Media: Is Anything Private Anymore???" - September 13, 2011
- Upstate South Carolina Chapter of the American Payroll Association - "Changes in SC Unemployment" - Greenville - August 2011
- South Carolina Hospital Association - "Social Media" - Columbia - August 2011
- South Carolina Hospital Association - "Generational Issues In The Workplace" - Columbia - July 2011
In The News
- February 11, 2013 - - "Employers Should Brace For More FMLA Leave Requests"
- June 2011 - - "Employers May Be Checking Your Social Media Pages"
- August 23, 2010 - - "Call-In Policies Can Aid FMLA-Compliant Employers"
- July 2, 2013 - Business Management Daily - "New Military Caregiver Leave Rules Continue FMLA Expansion"
- March 6, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "New FMLA Poster Must Be Up By March 8"
- February 8, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "Slow Creep of FMLA Expansion Continues"
- January 24, 2013 - Ogletree Deakins Blog Post - "DOL Clarifies Definition of “Son or Daughter” Under FMLA"
- August 2010 - Greenville Business Magazine - "Is He an Employee or an Independent Contractor?"